    can each of the users chat to each other using some type of chat
    software?

    Thank you!

    gus1339, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Yes. You would need to set the IP addresses and subnet on both of the
    laptops to the same network. ( comp 1: 192.268.0.1 comp 2: 192.168.0.2,
    both subnet to 255.255.255.0.) If the "chat" software works over an IP
    network, it will see the other one on the physically private network. You
    will also be able to share files.

    Rich

    Richard Johnson, Mar 20, 2008

  3. Yes, but there is more to configuring such a setup than just plugging in
    a cable. You won't have a DHCP server to assign IP addresses, for
    example. It's actually easier to do this using a router that has a DHCP
    server and setting up a network (even if there are only 2 computers on
    it), but it's possible to do it either way. Possible, but not
    necessarily completely trivial.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 21, 2008
  4. gus1339

    cmdrdata Guest

    Most chat software I know/use require login to the chat server. For
    your
    your scheme to work, you have to also use a chat software that does
    not
    try to access the internet. Maybe someone here have a suggestion
    for that component of your plan. For example, if you use AIM, it wants
    you to login first, then it also access the AIM server to pop up
    smaller
    sub-windows for their ads and tickers. The ads are not a big deal as
    it
    will just show blank boxes, but the buddies list is also not available
    since it is managed by the chat server.

    cmdrdata, Mar 21, 2008
  5. gus1339

    gus1339 Guest

    Good point. . Is there any other type of software/app that I could
    where each indivdual would see what was being typed on both pcs at the
    same time????

    gus1339, Mar 21, 2008