can i connect my vcr to my pc (sorry if this has been asked before)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Andy wilson, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Andy wilson

    Andy wilson Guest

    Hi hope somebody has some advice.

    i have audio playing from my vcr through my sound card no problem, but
    can i connect the vcr to my graphics card (GeForce4 MX 440) So i can
    watch vcr video on my monitor, or is the s-video socket on the back of
    my card only to take a signal OUT from the pc and cannot take a signal
    IN.

    Apologies for lack of knowledge but i have searched and cannot find
    any info anywhere.

    Many thanks

    Andy...

    PS:
    The end result of my actions is hopefully to record old vhs videos to
    dvd on my dvd burner.

    Andy wilson, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Andy wilson

    Dave Hau Guest

    You can if your video card supports video-in (the "VI" in "VIVO"). Look up
    the technical specifications of your video card at the manufacturer's
    website and see if VIVO is supported for your model.

    - Dave

    Dave Hau, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Andy wilson

    John Lewis Guest

    Do a Google search for the specs of your particular brand <and model >
    of video card. You will find them.

    Otherwise we cannot help you. Some boards have the requisite
    transcoder chip for video in, some don't. If you inspect your
    board and see a blank square or rectangle of solder-pads intended
    for an integrated circuit and not far from the video socket, you may
    be out of luck, but only the specification for your particular board
    with really confirm or deny.

    However, you can buy the appropriate hardware for the required
    task. Pinnacle does a nice line of very high-quality analog video
    I/O cards for PCs, together with all the software needed to
    accomplish the task.

    See www.pinnaclesys.com for specs ( but do not buy there !!)

    Studio Moviebox DV might just satisfy you needs.
    $180 from B&H Photovideo (www.bhphotovideo.com).

    You can do a Google Search for best prices/ best sources
    if you are not in the US.

    Cobbled-together solutions using VIVO are normally extremely poor
    quality and VHS quality is so poor that it cannot acceptably survive
    any further quality degradation.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Andy wilson