    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. Please respond to:
    replacing invalid with sonic.

    Otto Pylot, May 21, 2014

  2. Otto Pylot

    David Empson Guest

    Otto Pylot <> wrote:

    > Never did bother to go to 10.8 so any issues I should be aware of
    > jumping from 10.7.5 to 10.9.3? I do have a bootable clone of my current
    > HD on an external drive done with CCC.

    Answering the question in the subject: yes, assuming your Mac is
    supported by 10.9. Some Macs able to run 10.7 can't upgrade any further:
    Late 2006 iMac and MacBook Pro, Mid 2007 Mac Mini, original (early 2008)
    MacBook Air, polycarbonate MacBook models prior to early 2009, Mac Pro
    prior to early 2008, Xserve prior to early 2009.

    It is possible to upgrade directly to 10.9 from any of 10.6.8, 10.7.x or
    10.8.x.

    You will already have the minimum amount of memory required (2 GB) since
    that requirement didn't change between 10.7 and 10.9. In theory, 10.9
    should perform somewhat better than 10.7 in low memory conditions, due
    to using in-memory compression before it resorts to swapping memory to
    disk. Despite this, I recommending 4 GB as a more reasonable minimum
    amount of memory for 10.9, and those running memory heavy software (e.g.
    Photoshop, virtual machines) will almost certainly need more than that.

    As you are already on 10.7, you are past the point where most of the
    application compatibility problems occur (PowerPC applications and lack
    of Rosetta in 10.7 or later).

    There are some obscure system components removed in 10.9, notably Open
    Transport networking, which stopped MT-Newswatcher working, but very few
    other applications were affected by that one.

    In general terms, some applications have needed updates to fix issues
    running on 10.9, so you should make sure you've installed any free
    updates, and check with the developer for any important apps you use
    which may need a paid upgrade to officially support 10.9.

    http://roaringapps.com may be a helpful resource, with user-supplied
    comments about application compatibility with each of 10.7 and later.

    10.9.3 reinstates iTunes direct syncing of contacts/calendars with iOS
    devices, which was one of the annoyances for some people with 10.9 to
    10.9.2. It hasn't restored copying of contacts and calendars to non-iOS
    iPods.

    If you have non-Apple devices which currently sync using something like
    Missing Sync, they probably still can't sync in 10.9.3.

    I haven't seen enough information yet about exactly what Apple restored
    in 10.9.3 to get iTunes sync with iOS devices working again, but the
    reason it stopped working in 10.9 to 10.9.2 was that Apple had dropped
    Sync Services, which other applications like Missing Sync were using to
    access the contacts and calendars.

    Mark/Space haven't updated their incompatibility warning since 10.9.3
    was released, or said anything about it on their blog, but perhaps they
    just haven't finshed testing yet, or perhaps Sync Services has only been
    partly restored (only working with iTunes).

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, May 21, 2014

  3. Otto Pylot

    Otto Pylot Guest

    In article <1lm01dn.uiy7vw19qzzxwN%>, David Empson
    <> wrote:

    > Otto Pylot <> wrote:
    >
    > > Never did bother to go to 10.8 so any issues I should be aware of
    > > jumping from 10.7.5 to 10.9.3? I do have a bootable clone of my current
    > > HD on an external drive done with CCC.

    > Answering the question in the subject: yes, assuming your Mac is
    > supported by 10.9. Some Macs able to run 10.7 can't upgrade any further:
    > Late 2006 iMac and MacBook Pro, Mid 2007 Mac Mini, original (early 2008)
    > MacBook Air, polycarbonate MacBook models prior to early 2009, Mac Pro
    > prior to early 2008, Xserve prior to early 2009.
    >
    > It is possible to upgrade directly to 10.9 from any of 10.6.8, 10.7.x or
    > 10.8.x.
    >
    > You will already have the minimum amount of memory required (2 GB) since
    > that requirement didn't change between 10.7 and 10.9. In theory, 10.9
    > should perform somewhat better than 10.7 in low memory conditions, due
    > to using in-memory compression before it resorts to swapping memory to
    > disk. Despite this, I recommending 4 GB as a more reasonable minimum
    > amount of memory for 10.9, and those running memory heavy software (e.g.
    > Photoshop, virtual machines) will almost certainly need more than that.
    >
    > As you are already on 10.7, you are past the point where most of the
    > application compatibility problems occur (PowerPC applications and lack
    > of Rosetta in 10.7 or later).
    >
    > There are some obscure system components removed in 10.9, notably Open
    > Transport networking, which stopped MT-Newswatcher working, but very few
    > other applications were affected by that one.
    >
    > In general terms, some applications have needed updates to fix issues
    > running on 10.9, so you should make sure you've installed any free
    > updates, and check with the developer for any important apps you use
    > which may need a paid upgrade to officially support 10.9.
    >
    > http://roaringapps.com may be a helpful resource, with user-supplied
    > comments about application compatibility with each of 10.7 and later.
    >
    > 10.9.3 reinstates iTunes direct syncing of contacts/calendars with iOS
    > devices, which was one of the annoyances for some people with 10.9 to
    > 10.9.2. It hasn't restored copying of contacts and calendars to non-iOS
    > iPods.
    >
    > If you have non-Apple devices which currently sync using something like
    > Missing Sync, they probably still can't sync in 10.9.3.
    >
    > I haven't seen enough information yet about exactly what Apple restored
    > in 10.9.3 to get iTunes sync with iOS devices working again, but the
    > reason it stopped working in 10.9 to 10.9.2 was that Apple had dropped
    > Sync Services, which other applications like Missing Sync were using to
    > access the contacts and calendars.
    >
    > Mark/Space haven't updated their incompatibility warning since 10.9.3
    > was released, or said anything about it on their blog, but perhaps they
    > just haven't finshed testing yet, or perhaps Sync Services has only been
    > partly restored (only working with iTunes).

    Thank you. I should've made my post a little more complete. I have a
    mid-2011 Mac Book Air with 4GB memory. I use the current version of
    Thoth (paid) and I know that is compatible. The reason I hadn't
    upgraded before was the inability to sync iOS devices via USB, but
    that's been reinstated with this version. I've already upgraded iTunes
    so that's good to go.

    Otto Pylot, May 21, 2014