    a bit clunkier than the Windoze counterpart.

    Thanks,
    Dennis

    Posterizer, May 29, 2008

  2. Posterizer

    billy Guest

    This is the only thing I know of -

    http://www.samuco.net/Downloads/Protected_Screen.html

    It may be slightly less clunkier than using what's
    built into the os... You can also use a different
    password than the one for your account.

    Billy Y..

    billy, May 29, 2008

  3. Posterizer

    Posterizer Guest

    I never use a screensaver because they always seem to cause trouble. In
    fact, when I first switched from OS9 to X, somewhere around v10.1, the
    screensaver that was built in to OSX would reliably freeze 2 of my
    computers, so I gave up on it and now just use the energy saver panel to
    put the monitor to sleep after a set amount of time.

    I have a 530 MB download that is moving at a snail's pace (15 to 30
    k/sec) and it's already failed once, so I can't afford to let anything
    interfere with it.

    If you're referring to the screen saver, see above :)

    Dennis

    Posterizer, May 29, 2008
  4. Posterizer

    Dave Seaman Guest

    I never use the screen saver, and I don't let my Mac Pro sleep, but I do allow
    the display to sleep. I have checked the box that says "require password to
    wake this computer from sleep or screen saver". It works perfectly. What's
    clunky about that?

    Dave Seaman, May 29, 2008
  5. Posterizer

    Posterizer Guest

    Thanks, Dave. I thought that "wake this computer from sleep" referred
    to full system sleep, and not just the monitor sleeping.

    Thanks to everyone else for your suggestions. And as for the screen
    saver, yes, I realize it's been many years. I'll give that or the
    monitor sleep thing a try.

    Dennis

    Posterizer, May 30, 2008
  6. Posterizer

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Why is selecting "login window" from a menu "clunkier"
    then a three-finger-salute followed by an enter key ?

    And why is using a password to unlock a screensaver
    "clunkier" than using a password to unlock a screen lock?

    Wes Groleau, May 30, 2008
  7. Posterizer

    Wes Groleau Guest

    Seems to me the computer would have to wake from sleep before it could
    verify the password to wake it from sleep. :)

    Wes Groleau, May 30, 2008
  8. I'd suggest using the screensaver with password approach. You can add a
    shortcut key for that with any program that can launch applications in
    response to keystrokes, which makes it one keystroke to lock instead of
    two.

    The program you'll want to launch is ScreenSaverEngine.app in
    /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources

    Steven Fisher, May 30, 2008
  9. Posterizer

    Cillit Bang Guest

    Switching to the login screen is the way to go here (there's no need to
    log on to another user account).

    That's not cluncky, that's the way OS X (or rather it's *nix
    underpinnings) were expressly designed.

    There might even be a trick to assign a keyboard shortcut to it...

    -- Cillit

    Cillit Bang, Jun 2, 2008
  10. Posterizer

    Slipface Guest

    Doesn't that quit apps that are running in the current account? That's
    my only concern in this, is that I want those apps to continue running
    for however many hours are necessary to complete the download.

    thanks,
    _d (posting from another newsreader)

    Slipface, Jun 4, 2008
  11. Doesn't that quit apps that are running in the current account?[/QUOTE]

    No, it doesn't. You have to do it from the fast user switching menu,
    though.

    Michelle Steiner, Jun 4, 2008
  12. Logging out works as you described. What's being talked about is the
    "Login Window" command in the fast user switching menu. It looks like a
    head and shoulders silhouette.

    You might have to turn this menu on:
    1. Go to System Preferences.
    2. Go to Accounts pane.
    3. Click Login Options at the bottom of the user list.
    4. The screen will probably be dimmed; click the lock to make changes.
    5. Turn on Enable fast user switching. (You probably want View as: Icon.)

    Steven Fisher, Jun 4, 2008
  13. Posterizer

    Wes Groleau Guest

    No. I have started iTunes playing a song, switched to another account,
    get iTunes playing another, and hear both of them mixed together with
    no skips, on a 350 MHz iMac with 10.3.9

    Wes Groleau, Jun 5, 2008
  14. Posterizer

    Király Guest

    There is. My Mac switches to the login window when I press control-F13.
    I set it up with Automator and Spark. If anyone wants more details,
    just ask.

    Király, Jun 5, 2008