    MrW

    ps. Apologies if this has been discussed about, I _did_ search the
    archives/google but found no clear answer.

    Mr Wrong, Apr 26, 2007

  2. Mr Wrong

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Follow the instructions on > Remotely logging base station activity
    "Remotely logging base station activity" in the AirPort Admin Utility's
    Help file.

    Tom Stiller, Apr 26, 2007

  3. Yes, however the availability of logging is dependent on base station
    model.

    Here is a log extract from my Apple Extreme Base Station as seen by the
    Apple Airport Utility 5.0

    "Apr 26 16:00:00 Severity:5 Disconnected from network.
    Apr 26 16:00:02 Severity:5 Link down (lan).
    Apr 26 16:00:04 Severity:5 Link up (wan half-duplex 100).
    Apr 26 16:00:05 Severity:5 Rotated CCMP group key.
    Apr 26 16:00:05 Severity:5 Re-associated with station
    00:11:24:0b:79:f7
    Apr 26 16:00:07 Severity:5 Configuration updated.
    Apr 26 16:00:07 Severity:5 Re-associated with station
    00:14:51:7c:aa:72
    Apr 26 16:00:07 Severity:5 Deauthorizing station 00:11:24:0b:79:f7
    [2]
    Apr 26 16:00:07 Severity:5 Installed unicast CCMP key for supplicant
    00:14:51:7c:aa:72
    Apr 26 16:00:07 Severity:5 Re-associated with station
    00:14:51:78:29:39"

    Cheers,

    Darrell

    Darrell Greenwood, Apr 27, 2007
  4. Mr Wrong

    Mr Wrong Guest

    Thks; how does one go about setting the logging level (0 to 7, default
    seems to be 5) ?

    Regards,

    MrW.

    Mr Wrong, Apr 27, 2007
  5. Mr Wrong

    Tom Stiller Guest

    See the man pages for 'syslogd' and 'syslog.conf'.

    Tom Stiller, Apr 27, 2007
  6. Although finding out who is an interesting puzzle, you could probably
    just change the encryption password and be done with it. :)

    Steven Fisher, Apr 27, 2007
  7. I can't help with the original question, but I do want to make sure
    you're using WPA encryption, and *not* WEP. WEP is very, very easy to
    hack due to a design flaw, and even with a fresh, long passkey, it can
    be cracked in a matter of a few hours, which might be what happened here
    if you're using WEP. Make sure you're using WPA.

    Garner Miller, Apr 28, 2007
  8. Mr Wrong

    Mr Wrong Guest

    Thanks Tom, Steven and Garner for the advice, I am now on WPA with a
    key as large as my display ;^). Turning the airport logging feature on
    ins interesting, I am puzzeled to see how many attempts are denied by
    the firewall. According to whois, they come from all over the world...
    The logs are a bit hard to read though, and I am trying to figure out
    the difference between attempts and successes.

    Cheers,

    MrW.

    Mr Wrong, Apr 28, 2007
  9. Mr Wrong

    C J Campbell Guest

    You really want a strong WPA password, not "Mr. Wrong" or something
    easy to guess like that. There are several web sites that will generate
    a strong password for you.

    For your Airport system I do not recommend using symbols in your
    password for logging onto the net. Some wireless printers and other
    peripherals might have a very limited symbol set and if you use symbols
    they can't generate then those peripherals will never be able to log
    onto your Airport network.

    C J Campbell, Apr 29, 2007
  10. Darrell Greenwood, Apr 29, 2007
  11. Mr Wrong

    AES Guest

    Can you say offhand whether this (or these) will work with the original
    (or at least a very early) "Granite" airport base station?

    [I have a couple of Airport management tools I picked up somewhere that
    don't seem to recognize this base station -- though our home Airport net
    itself works just fine.]

    AES, Apr 29, 2007
  12. [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see

    Offhand I couldn't. But Google can :)

    "AirPort Management Utility does not work with original ³Graphite²"

    is the snippet accompanying the search for '"airport management
    utility" graphite' result --

    http://images.apple.com/airport/pdf/L303115A_Airport_Extreme_TO.pdf
    (it's in the fine print at the bottom of P37)

    Cheers,

    Darrell

    Darrell Greenwood, Apr 29, 2007
  13. Mr Wrong

    AES Guest

    Offhand I couldn't. But Google can :)

    "AirPort Management Utility does not work with original ³Graphite²"

    is the snippet accompanying the search for '"airport management
    utility" graphite' result --[/QUOTE]

    Thanks. Experimentally confirmed . . . (unfortunately).

    AES, Apr 29, 2007