    does not have the Chipset drivers

    why is this, i do not want to use XP,

    Is it possable that Windows ME does not work on the DIMENSION 3000???

    COLT_SSB, May 19, 2005

  2. COLT_SSB

    Tweek Guest

    You can get the chipset drivers from Intel's website, and probably the video
    drivers too. You may not be able to find drivers for other hardware though.
    I know you have your reasons for wanting to run it, but Windows ME is pretty
    much the most unreliable OS Micrsoft ever created.

    Tweek, May 19, 2005

  3. COLT_SSB

    Capt Bob Guest

    On 19 May 2005 17:35:25 -0400,
    Why would you want to go back to ME? It's like running Windows NT,
    compared to XP.

    Bob

    Capt Bob, May 19, 2005
  4. COLT_SSB

    COLT_SSB Guest

    Well... thanks for the help friends :) top lads ,, lol

    i like ME because i know the in and outs :)

    and i have lots of programs that dont run on XP

    how do i know what drivers this D3000 needs from the intel site?

    Richy

    COLT_SSB, May 20, 2005
  5. COLT_SSB

    COLT_SSB Guest

    Tweekwrote:
    You can get the chipset drivers from Intel's website, and probably
    the video

    Someone is gonna have to help me here! do i need to know what mother/b
    i need the chipset for?

    Richy

    COLT_SSB, May 20, 2005
  6. COLT_SSB

    Quaoar Guest

    Are you sure the programs cannot be installed on XP? It's pretty good
    with compatibility mode if that is even required.

    Quaoar, May 20, 2005
  7. COLT_SSB

    Notan Guest

    And one helluva lot more stable than ME!

    Notan

    Notan, May 20, 2005
  8. COLT_SSB

    Tweek Guest

    Both the chipset drivers and video drivers are unified, they work on any
    chipset if they are needed. Just pick one of the newer chipsets like the 915
    and select windows me as your os and it will take you to the right place. As
    far as compatiblity problems, the compatibility mode works wonders in XP.

    Tweek, May 20, 2005
  9. As others have pointed out, ME was the most disastrous OS M$ ever
    produced, in fact it was so bad they tried to abandon it early and
    allowed people to downgrade to 98SE without giving them license
    hastles.

    But if that's what you really want to do, go look on the Intel website
    for the chipset identifier utility and use the results of that to find
    your chipset drivers.

    William P. N. Smith, May 20, 2005
  10. COLT_SSB

    Fixer Guest

    Fixer, May 20, 2005
  11. COLT_SSB

    Hank Arnold Guest

    In the tech support world it's called the "Mucked-Up Edition..... Mention to
    a support tech that you are running ME and the initial response is
    "Oh............" ;-)

    Having said that, if the OP wants ME and it meets his needs, then who are we
    to argue with him.???

    Hank Arnold, May 20, 2005
  12. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    If not XP, why not Windows 2000 Pro? It actually works, and it is not hugely
    bloated... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 20, 2005
  13. COLT_SSB

    COLT_SSB Guest

    I have saved the drive with all the dell stuff on :)

    COLT_SSB, May 20, 2005
  14. COLT_SSB

    COLT_SSB Guest

    I am starting to think about staying with XP 8)

    I am being sucked in!

    Arrrrr :shock:

    COLT_SSB, May 20, 2005
  15. It is because of your Chipset mainly. It is no longer 'supported' by Intel
    and Microsoft- regarding ME. I had the same problem. My Graphics controller
    would only give me 256 colours. But the system ran damn fast with ME.
    Unfortunately 256 colours are no option for me...

    Krisztina Susza, May 20, 2005
  16. COLT_SSB

    Notan Guest

    256 colors?

    Jeez, a large box of Crayons has more than 256 colors! <g>

    Notan

    Notan, May 20, 2005
  17. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    FWIW, the Intel web site has Windows 98/ME chipset and graphics drivers for all
    the 800-series chipsets. The 900-series chipsets are Windows 2000 and XP only.
    And various Linuxes... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 20, 2005
  18. COLT_SSB

    Capt Bob Guest

    Pretty large crayon box, over 16,700,000 colors

    Bob

    Capt Bob, May 20, 2005
  19. Anything but Me!

    ;)

    Sparky Spartacus, May 21, 2005
  20. COLT_SSB

    Joan Hansen Guest

    Iknow how you feel, I didn't want to give up my Win98SE, but I gave XP a
    try. After the little learning curve, I never looked back. :)

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, May 21, 2005