    need to do is set the thing to classic view and you'd likely never
    notice the difference.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, May 21, 2005

  2. COLT_SSB

    wayne Guest

    I have to agree about ME in that it was a hurried OS that had an incredibly
    short life
    IN 1995 Windows 95 came out in 98 Windows 98 then in 2000 ME comes out.

    Less than a year later (8 mos) XP is announced. The incredibly short life
    of ME shows how poorly it did as MS would have sold it for a longer period
    of time if they felt they could. I think part of the reason for ME was
    that they decided not to have a "Home" version of Wink. ME was in many ways
    XP beta that was sold to people. It had plenty of new features like restore
    points but it lacked polish and support from many vendors. You can try
    win2k or 98 drivers and they may work.

    I would stick with XP using the classic view and turning off all the cartoon
    features by choosing best performance and classic interface

    Wayne

    wayne, May 21, 2005

  3. I would stick with XP using the classic view and turning off all the
    I see why you all want to keep XP. But if I could install ME on my laptop or
    PC I would happily do so. Not even it is far more faster- it also did only
    one time in two years have a bluescreen. You turn on you PC and in a few
    seconds you can work with it. You shut it off and immediately there it is
    gone. Besides: who needs to have all these nicy cool looking icons and
    symbols and designs?
    Besides- there are many old games, which refuse to work on XP..

    Krisztina Susza, May 21, 2005
  4. Not really, Me was the last Win version based on the original 16 bit
    code base, hence its lack of stability (and security, not that XP is
    bulletproof).

    Sparky Spartacus, May 21, 2005
  5. COLT_SSB

    Capt Bob Guest

    You know, I was just thinking of loading windows 95 on my new Desktop
    , and your posts has sort of got me second guessing myself. Do you
    really think that XP is better than Windows 95?

    Capt Bob, May 22, 2005
  6. COLT_SSB

    Capt Bob Guest

    Like what, Pong ? :)

    Capt Bob, May 22, 2005
  7. Someone in the IBM Thinkpad newsgroup tried to convince me that Windows
    ME was only released to force developers to start writing for 2000/XP.
    The idea with ME was that any code that wouldn't run on NT based Windows
    (2000/XP) will not work on ME. This is why most people had much greater
    success with 98SE (nothing was intentionally broken for compatibility
    reasons). I don't entirely buy the argument (the poster claimed ME was
    released solely for this purpose), I beleive ME was a last greedy stab
    at consumers prior to releasing XP (forcing developers was a side
    benefit).

    Nicholas Andrade, May 22, 2005
  8. As long as the system is relatively modern and has a fair amount of RAM,
    XP is a much, much better choice. It's still receiving security
    updates, it's natively 32 bit, far more stable, etc. I prefer Linux,
    but when I must run Windows I go XP.

    Nicholas Andrade, May 22, 2005
  9. COLT_SSB

    Hank Arnold Guest

    I think that "Capt Bob" was kidding.... He forgot to add the smiley
    face......... :)

    Hank Arnold, May 22, 2005
  10. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, but Windows 95 is/was more stable than Windows ME !!! ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 22, 2005
  11. COLT_SSB

    Bob Levine Guest

    Now there's a news flash for you. <g>

    Bob

    Bob Levine, May 22, 2005
  12. COLT_SSB

    S.Lewis Guest

    True, but the Yugo was probably infinitely more safe than the Ford Pinto as
    well. :eek:)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 22, 2005
  13. You all are kinda sorta, erhh, smart and intelligent.
    BUT the question was:
    Is it possible to run Win ME on a Dell Dimension 3000 System. I haven't till
    now heard any intelligent insight on this from anyone of you.
    So if you want to go on kidding and laughing you should start yourself a new
    thread- or you are going to help..

    Krisztina Susza, May 22, 2005
  14. COLT_SSB

    Tom Scales Guest

    The reason you are getting the answers you are is that none of us have
    experience attempting Windows Me on a 3000. We have no experience, because
    the general consensus is that it is an irrational decision.

    The only way you are going to find out is to try it.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, May 22, 2005
  15. COLT_SSB

    Bob Levine Guest

    Go ahead and try it. The machine was not designed to run ME. There may
    or may not be drivers available for the hardware.

    Bob

    Bob Levine, May 22, 2005
  16. COLT_SSB

    S.Lewis Guest

    The above answer from Bob is the bottom line. Virtually no one will
    recommend that you go backwards from WinXP to WinMe, and with good
    reason(s).

    You're simply going to have to try it and feel any pain firsthand to know if
    it works.

    I know I wouldn't attempt this install for any of my customers. In fact,
    short of ridiculous amounts of money to do so, I'd flatly refuse.

    Good luck. If you attempt it and care to add your experience with it to the
    group, I'd be interested - but only slightly.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 22, 2005
  17. | > Go ahead and try it. The machine was not designed to run ME.
    There may or
    | > may not be drivers available for the hardware.
    | >
    | > Bob

    It was not originally my post, but and I realized, that my system
    is for sure not working with ME. But only because of the graphics
    driver. If have some games which refuse to run on XP nor on w2k.
    Also some other mathematical software also not running on XP.
    The system would run much faster if it is installed on ME. And
    that although it has not even optimized or the best chipset
    drivers. So ME might not better than XP but it is definitely
    faster and smaller.

    Krisztina Susza, May 22, 2005
  18. COLT_SSB

    WSZsr Guest

    So is DOS 5.0!

    WSZsr, May 22, 2005
  19. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    And DOS 2.11 !!! Definitely leaner and meaner... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 22, 2005
  20. COLT_SSB

    Capt Bob Guest

    What everyone is trying to tell you in a kind way is that Installing
    windows ME on a PC that already has XP installed on it, is like
    dropping the engine out of your new Corvette, and hooking up a couple
    of glue horses to the front bumper. :)

    Capt Bob, May 23, 2005