Can I not use Windows ME on my new DIMENSION 3000????

Discussion in 'Dell' started by COLT_SSB, May 19, 2005.

  1. You have any links to substantiate this?

    Sparky Spartacus, May 23, 2005

  2. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    Which part? The Yugo vs. Pinto or Windows 95 vs Windows ME? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 23, 2005

  3. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes. The opposite of what a friend of mine did many years ago. He dropped a
    Porsche 356 engine into a VW beetle. When he got stopped on the Ryan Expressway
    in Chi for doing 120mph, he opened up the lid in back of the beetle and pointed
    to the engine. The engine looked like any other VW engine, and the cop walked
    away mumbling about the malfunctioning radar... Ben

    Ben Myers, May 23, 2005
  4. COLT_SSB

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, May 23, 2005
  5. Cool - love it!

    Like the classic:

    Cop: "Your car's been parked here for hours, the hood's ice cold"

    Owner: "But officer, the engine's in the rear".

    Sparky Spartacus, May 23, 2005
  6. Thanks for the link. For those afraid to click on anything in Usenet,
    here's the list:

    MSNBC.com

    FACT FILE Worst vehicles of all time

    The model years listed here do not always represent the full
    manufacturing run of the vehicle. All dates are for model years, not
    calendar years.

    AMC Pacer (1975-80)
    Chevrolet Vega (1970-74)
    Citroen SM (1970-72)
    Fiat Strada (1978-88)
    Ford Bronco II (1983-89)
    Ford Edsel (1957-59)
    Ford Pinto (1971-80)
    Honda Accord hatchback (1978)
    Mazda RX-2 (1971)
    Oldsmobile Delta 88 (1979-84)
    Pontiac Fiero (1984)
    Renault Dauphine (1956-68)
    Sachsenring Trabant (1957-62)
    Yugo GV (1981-91)

    Source: Forbes.com

    Sparky Spartacus, May 23, 2005
  7. What happened when you used the Intel chipset identifier to determine
    the chipset and then looked on the Intel site for drivers for that
    chipset?

    [Won't machines without chipset drivers _work_ in some kind of default
    mode, by treating the hardware as though it were just a PC?]

    William P. N. Smith, May 23, 2005
  8. OK, so drop in a video card that _has_ WinME (*) drivers and see how
    that does.

    From the ATI driver page for WinME:

    /*
    Note:As of January 1, 2004, Microsoft no longer accepts certification
    submissions for the Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Edition operating
    system. For more information refer to the following Microsoft®
    website:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwtest/search/details.aspx?ID=800. ATI
    Customer Care however is committed to all its customers and is now
    providing non certified WHQL software drivers for users of the Windows
    Millennium Edition operating system. These drivers will provide
    enhanced stability and focuses on fixing known issues associated with
    previous versions of the Windows Millennium Edition software driver.

    Windows 98SE is supported through the Windows Millennium Edition
    driver.

    For users that require a WHQL certified driver that is supported under
    Windows 98/98SE and Windows ME, ATI recommends using the CATALYST 4.3
    drivers (Supports RADEON 7000 through RADEON 9800 Series only).
    */

    (*) We always called it LoseME, but that's the rathole you don't want
    to hear.

    William P. N. Smith, May 23, 2005
  9. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    As previously stated, if the Dell Dimension 3000 has an Intel 900-series
    chipset, support for the chipset and on-board graphics only goes back as far as
    Windows 2000. Intel provides 98/SE support for boards with an 800-series
    chipset, including the 865 and 875.

    The OP and any other interested party should keep in mind that Windows ME is
    limited to 512MB system memory, unless one takes heroic and extreme action.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 23, 2005
  10. | The OP and any other interested party should keep in mind that
    Windows ME is
    | limited to 512MB system memory, unless one takes heroic and
    extreme action.

    That means it will use the swap partition if you more RAM
    installed? Or do you mean it will not run on such a system?

    Oh, and thanks for the ATI suggestion. Wouldhave been an option if
    it wasn't an integrated Intel 855GME graphics in a Dell Latitude.

    Krisztina Susza, May 23, 2005
  11. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    It has been a while since I worried about this one, and I do not recall all the
    details. Micro$oft has a Knowledgebase article about the limitation. There are
    ways to use more than 512MB, but some serious modification of either the
    registry or windows.ini is required. Better not to encounter the combination.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 23, 2005
  12. COLT_SSB

    Nick Guest

    It means that, if you have more than 512MB of memory with WinMe, you may get
    'Out of memory' errors when you actually have more than enough memory
    installed for what you're trying to do.

    If I remember right, you can avoid the error messages by changing the
    'VCache' setting in one of the .ini files, but even with that changed WinMe
    still doesn't use large amounts of memory very efficiently.

    As Ben mentioned, this is covered by an article in Microsoft's Knowledge
    Base: try searching for 'vcache' to see if that finds the article.

    Nick, May 23, 2005
  13. COLT_SSB

    Nick Guest

    This web page has info on the memory management problems, including the
    Vcache issues and fixes, in the section on 'THREE EXCEPTIONS...' part way
    down the page: <http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/memmgmt.htm>

    Personally, I'd recommend upgrading to WinXP if you're going to put more
    than 512MB of memory into a WinMe computer. WinXP doesn't have the memory
    management problems with large amounts of memory that WinMe has.

    Actually, I'd recommend upgrading to WinXP regardless: it's a lot more
    stable than WinMe ever was.

    --
    Nick <mailto:>

    Nick's two rules of spammer talk:

    1. Spammers lie.
    2. If a spammer ever appears to be telling
    the truth, please refer to rule number 1.

    Nick, May 23, 2005
  14. Ah, I missed that part, sorry.
    My second question still stands, isn't everything backwards compatable
    to the original IBM PC at the end of the day?

    William P. N. Smith, May 24, 2005
  15. Oh, the subject headers referring to the Dimension 3000 had me
    confused.

    William P. N. Smith, May 24, 2005
  16. Now I'm really confused, Intel has the:

    /*
    Multi language: win9x1361.exe Download

    Ver:13.6.1 Date:12/31/2003 Size:7254 (KB) Time @56Kbps:16.79 min
    OS:Windows* 98 SE, Windows* Me
    */

    Drivers on their WWWebsite. Just goto drivers, type in the part
    number, and pick WinME.

    William P. N. Smith, May 24, 2005
  17. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, computers will probably work in a somewhat degraded mode with Windows XP if
    the proper drivers are not installed. It's a little ugly though. Some devices
    may not work at all. Other devices will sort of limp along, a lot like safe
    mode.

    And, YES! Newer computers probably are backward compatible to the original IBM
    AT, but only in DOS mode. I bet they could run DOS 3.0 very nicely. Windows
    3.1 would be pretty ugly, especially with its pre-95 64MB memory limit. As for
    the end of the day, it ends here in the EDT time zone in about 47 minutes. :)

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 24, 2005
  18. | Now I'm really confused, Intel has the:

    | /*
    | Multi language: win9x1361.exe Download
    |
    | Ver:13.6.1 Date:12/31/2003 Size:7254 (KB) Time @56Kbps:16.79 min
    | OS:Windows* 98 SE, Windows* Me
    | */
    |
    | Drivers on their WWWebsite. Just goto drivers, type in the part
    | number, and pick WinME.

    Now I am confused as well. I already tried installing but my
    system woud refuse to wokr. I remeber having problems with the
    display limited to 256 colors and not recognising the DVD-ROM
    drive. Maybe it was the chipset driver which made problems. I
    ended up installing XP and W2k. W2k supports part of my software
    which is better than nothing compared to XP. Oh and I know that
    there is a compatibility switch, but ist doesn't work.

    Krisztina Susza, May 24, 2005
  19. But the OP wanted WinME, which ought to work, yes?
    Isn't WinME mostly DOS-based like it's predecesor OSen?

    William P. N. Smith, May 24, 2005
  20. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    When installing an operating system, do the following to avoid software
    problems:

    1. Install the operating system, then take note as to which devices are marked
    with yellow or red marks in Device Manager.

    2. Install the chipset drivers for the main chipset on the motherboard. In this
    case, the Intel-900 series chipset drivers would seem to be required. If the
    chipset drivers are not installed IMMEDIATELY after the operating system, there
    is likely to be trouble.

    3. Install the graphics drivers needed by the motherboard or graphics card.
    Again, Intel 900-series extreme graphics in the case of a Dimension 3000.

    4. See which devices remain with yellow or red marks in Device Manager, then
    determine the chipset manufacturers for the devices, and download and install
    the appropriate drivers.

    5. DVD devices need DVD player software, like WinDVD, to function correctly.
    This software is not part of the operating system. Some DVD devices are combo
    devices with the ability to read and/or write CDs. Others are DVD readers
    (DVD-ROM), plain and simple.

    If the required drivers are not built into the operating system CD, the above
    recipe works whether upgrading to a newer operating system or downgrading to an
    older operating system. Of course, the required drivers must be available
    somewhere, or one will never succeed in having a fully operational system.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 24, 2005