    memory management may be a little inferior and I can't recall all the
    differences between 98 and ME. I just know enough to avoid ME, a short-lived
    aberration, as even some Micro$ofties will attest... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 24, 2005

  2. COLT_SSB

    S.Lewis Guest

    I thought WinMe was the first Win9X to use the 'non-real' DOS (emulation)...
    ? (And that Win98 was the last to provide 'real' DOS).

    A subject I don't fully understand to this day though I use whatever each
    provides.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 24, 2005

  3. COLT_SSB

    Tom Scales Guest

    Windows Me 'hid' its DOS underpinnings by removing the reboot to DOS menu.
    Still could be done, but you had to fight a bit to do it. Win Me, in
    theory, could use Windows 2000 WDM drivers, so it was supposed to be
    compatible, but they were wildly flaky -- like Me itself.

    Tom Scales, May 24, 2005
  4. COLT_SSB

    SGD Guest

    I see why you all want to keep XP. But if I could install ME on my laptop
    or
    Have you tried using the Program Compatibility Wizard? If your not familiar
    with it forces XP to resemble one of the older operating systems. (We have
    an ancient program that worked fine in 98SE but refused to run in ME. With
    XP we are able to get it running again. It's an old desktop publisher and no
    one has the time to sit around and port all the individual pages over to
    Word or whatever, easier to just print the pages out using this ancient
    program called Spellbinder.)

    Anyway to start the Program Compatibility Wizard, click Start, click Help
    and Support, click Find compatible hardware and software for Windows XP, and
    then, under See Also in the navigation pane, click Program Compatibility
    Wizard.

    If compatibility problems prevent you from installing a program on Windows
    XP, run the Program Compatibility Wizard on the setup file for the program.
    The file might be called Setup.exe or something similar, and is probably
    located on the Installation disc for the program.

    Now I used ME for years, but look closely. Internet Explorer 7 is due out
    this summer and the upgrade will NOT work on ANY older operating system. So
    you will only shooting yourself in the foot by re-installing ME. (My
    opinion.)

    SGD, May 26, 2005
  5. COLT_SSB

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    OK, here's help: Don't do such a silly thing.

    Paul Knudsen, May 26, 2005
  6. COLT_SSB

    Ben Myers Guest

    Nobody is getting personal about YOU. Just Me... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 26, 2005
  7. Good, thanks for the reassurance.

    Sparky Spartacus, May 27, 2005
  8. COLT_SSB

    S.Lewis Guest

    There's no "I" in team, but there's a "Me". I understand it blue screens
    and locks up there as well.

    S.Lewis, May 27, 2005
  9. COLT_SSB

    SGD Guest

    biology. It cannot be booted to the DOS command prompt like 95/98, IIRC.
    It

    Well yes and no. Actually it could if you patched the OS.

    Drop-to-DOS was never really disabled; the option was simply eliminated as
    an option on the shut-down screen. My old laptop was an ME computer &
    patched to drop-to-DOS and functioned just like Win98.

    SGD, Jun 2, 2005