    work as a drop-in replacement for the old 2400 unit?

    Thanks in advance!

    Howard

    Howard Rose, May 31, 2007

  2. Howard Rose

    S.Lewis Guest

    It may, with these areas of concern:

    1) Rear EMI shield/ I-O ports won't match.

    2) Front power switch/audio/USB I/O cable might not fit the board pinouts.
    In effect, you'd likely need either the entire 3000 power switch assembly +
    the cabling or maybe just the cabling itself for it to match up. I think
    these graphics are correct but I'm not positive:

    2400 system board graphic:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/sysboard.htm

    3000 system board graphic:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/parts.htm#wp1076314

    The connector(s) of concern are the pinned sockets on the upper right-hand
    corner of the graphic ( at approximately 1 and 2 o'clock positions).

    It's also possible that some other component might be causing your machine
    to go no POST.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 31, 2007

  3. Howard Rose

    Ben Myers Guest

    According to my unofficial cheat sheet of strange, wonderful and obscure facts
    about Dell Pentium 4 systems, the Dimension 3000 motherboard will drop right in
    as a 2400 replacement with the possible exception of the I/O back plate.
    Everything else is the same including fan connector, audio connector, front
    panel USB, and front panel on-off/LED cable. My advice is to find a
    hard-to-find Dimension 3000 I/O plate to go with the board.

    Other motherboards which are physically compatible (except maybe for I/O plate)
    are the Dimension 4600 and the Optiplex 170L. The 4600 board needs an AGP
    card, too, but it has 4 DIMM sockets, instead of 2... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 31, 2007
  4. Howard Rose

    S.Lewis Guest

    I'll blame it on the graphics at the support site.

    I'd only add that there are some Dim4600 boards that have integrated
    video -and- an AGP slot.

    Thanks Ben.....

    S.Lewis, May 31, 2007