Can I replace on-board USB 1.1 slots by a separate USB 2.0 -PCI card ?

Discussion in 'ECS' started by Peter Meister, Nov 23, 2006.

  1. Unfortunately my motherboard (ECS K7S5A rev5.0 resp. rev1.0) has only USB slots of standard 1.1.

    Is it possible to buy an additional PCI card with 2.0 USB slots and use them instead ?

    In order not to confuse Win2000/WinXP I assume that I have to disable the old USB 1.1 slots.

    How do I do this ? Is there a switch/option for them ?

    How do I tell Win200/WinXP to use 2.0 drivers and USB 2.0 slots when new external USB devices
    are plugged into the new USB slots ?

    Peter Meister, Nov 23, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Peter Meister

    Buffalo Guest

    Just order a card from Pricewatch or go to a computer store. It will be a PCI
    card and should cost under $20 US.
    It will come with an installation CD and is very simple to install.
    You do not have to disable the old USB 1.1 because the new card will have its
    own ports and you can still use the old ports if needed for a mouse, etc.
    I have a K7S5a rev 3.1 and I dual boot Win98SE and Win2000Pro and my card has 4
    USB 2 ports.
    It is and Encore PCI Controller Card and it was around $10US.
    You can search on the Internet and even get FireWire ports included with that
    new card.
    Some cost quite a bit, so look around.
    Buffalo, Nov 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.