    heatsink.

    So its the video card or maybe hard drives. I need enough time to put the
    case lid back on as the noise is quite different.

    hb, Jun 24, 2003

  2. hb

    johndevoy Guest

    It would a lot simpler to just stick your finger in the fan while its
    running and see if the whine goes away.

    johndevoy, Jun 24, 2003

  3. hb

    Flow Guest

    This is very easy.
    Pull out your video card and switch on your comp.
    All the remaining fans should spin,if the noise is still there repeat this
    for the other devices.
    If not then obviously the fan from your ti4400 is the noisy one.
    A mainboard can try to boot with only the atx power connected to it.Ofcourse
    it will hang on boot.
    But you can see your fans starting to spin.

    Flow, Jun 24, 2003
  4. hb

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    I would go with the finger stopping the fan trick, but if not then the answer
    to your question I would have to say is YES. What would happen if someone were
    using their video card and the fan died and they didn't know it? How could they
    know the fan died with the case closed? When you boot into windows the gpu gets
    hot, but not like it does from doing 3D. That doesn't mean I would run the
    system for long without the fan, but I don't think few minutes will hurt it. If
    anything, if it gets too hot your system will probably lock up, then the gpu
    isn't doing anything so its not radiating heat.

    PRIVATE1964, Jun 25, 2003