    meg Video card.

    Any recommendation/advice appreciated.

    Thanks

    Sam, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Sam

    Blahguy Guest

    I think they may be limited by CPU speed and transfer rates from the HDD.
    Check out the specs for newer burners at some of the manufactureres
    websites.
    I couldn't see a problem, except maybe you might need to burn at lower
    speed.

    Blahguy, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Sam

    Rick Guest

    What do you mean by "juice"? CPU speed, hard drive
    throughput, electrical power etc?

    Not much of any of those is required to burn to DVD, but
    capturing video may be a different story, depending on what
    you want to capture.

    Rick

    Rick, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    :
    : What do you mean by "juice"? CPU speed, hard drive
    : throughput, electrical power etc?
    :
    : Not much of any of those is required to burn to DVD, but
    : capturing video may be a different story, depending on what
    : you want to capture.

    I was thinking of the mosfets and the electrical load. I have a P3
    800 Mhz (unclocked) and I would like to transfer some home videos to
    DVD if possible and use the DVD for hard drive backup as well.

    Sam, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Sam

    Blahguy Guest

    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ as a guide for ps usage, but your
    machine sounds fine to me.

    Blahguy, Oct 3, 2004
  6. I'm burning DVDs, with no problems.

    BH6 1.0, pIII/850/100 (not overclocked), 384M RAM, Win98 original
    edition (!), Nero 5.whatever, Sony DRU-510A.

    (Of course I don't try to do other stuff while it's burning, like run
    bittorrent or something, but if you let it give Nero its full
    attention, it works fine at 4x, the max speed of this burner.)

    Or, are you talking about *watching* DVDs? That's plenty fast enough
    for it; you can even watch DivXs, which use lots more CPU horsepower
    to decode in realtime.

    (You don't mention your CPU speed, which might make a difference.
    350MHz is about the bare minimum for DVDs, unless you have a hardware
    MPEG-2 decoder like the old Creative Dxr2 or Hollywood Sigma (name?);
    most of these add-in boards don't do DivX, so you'd need even more CPU
    for that. 850 is plenty, even w/o the hardware decoder.)

    Shalom Septimus, Oct 5, 2004