    to a 802.11b/g via a new piece of hardware (mini-PCI)? And does this
    involve disassembling the laptop or is it accessible from the bottom base?

    Thanks.

    DukeN, May 1, 2005

  2. Maybe; if it's a more or less generic mini-PCI 802.11b, then you may be
    able to upgrade it with a similar mini-PCI 802.11g card (which will be
    backwards compatible to 802.11b). The software and drivers will be
    different, and there might be some mechanical issues, I'm not sure
    exactly how standardized all aspects of mini-PCI cards are, and if the
    Sony uses a standard mini-PCI card (although it probably does).

    As to installation, no way to be sure of that without either
    documentation or the model in question. However, I'd certainly open
    doors on the bottom before I tried to open the computer.

    Barry Watzman, May 2, 2005

  3. DukeN

    DukeN Guest

    Oh, I see.

    Thanks for the response, Sony's specs say its a standard Intel mini-PCI.
    I just wanted to know before buying the notebook whether it was
    accessible thru the bottom or not.

    DukeN, May 2, 2005