    Nota Clu Guest

    Thought : Buy a Vista machine and an XP Pro Upgrade (as opposed to Full
    version). Will I be able to re-format and install the upgrade over Vista?

    Nota Clu, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Nota Clu

    Tom Scales Guest

    I doubt it. Don't you have ANY eligible CD sitting around? 98? Me? 2000?

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2007

  3. Nota Clu

    Nota Clu Guest

    I have 3 copies of XP Home for Dell boxes. Maybe my OP was unclear. I'm
    thinking about buying a Vista machine, wiping that from the HD and
    installing XP Pro. Will a copy of XP Pro Upgrade version work?

    Nota Clu, Mar 10, 2007
  4. Nota Clu

    Tom Scales Guest

    I understood. My point is that the upgrade XP Pro requires the CD of an
    eligible OS. Vista won't be one of them. 2000, Me, 98 are. Find an old
    CD. When you install Pro, it will ask for the CD. Pop it in and you're
    set.

    Rumor has it, though (haven't read the EULA) that Vista allows a downgrade.
    If so, then it would be legal to use a Dell XP CD that matched the version
    of the Vista OS to do a clean install. It wouldn't require a key. For
    Pro, you would need Vista Business or Ultimate, I would think.

    Tom Scales, Mar 10, 2007
  5. Nota Clu

    Pen Guest

    Only if you have an older version of windows. ME and 2K for sure and I
    think 98 also. XP home is a maybe.

    Pen, Mar 10, 2007
  6. Nota Clu

    Joe Guest

    You'll need to have a previous full copy of Windows, maybe 98/ME or
    something to verify your installation.
    If you intend to 'upgrade' from Vista to XP Pro, it won't work successfully.
    You'd have to do a clean install, i.e. format the drive then install.

    I don't know if your Dell copies will be full or upgrade version.

    Joe.

    Joe, Mar 10, 2007
  7. Nota Clu

    Journey Guest

    What other people have already said is most likely true. There was a
    time when XP first came out that student discount "upgrade" versions
    of XP Pro were actually full versions that didn't require a
    pre-existing OS (I know, doesn't make sense but that's the way it
    was).

    If you don't have one of those, then you will need another product
    like others said.

    If you don't have an older version of Windows to upgrade from I am
    sure there are a lot of copies lying around, so just ask some of your
    friends.

    Journey, Mar 10, 2007
  8. Nota Clu

    Ben Myers Guest

    Here is how to do it:

    1. Either request the Vista media when you buy the computer ($10 or so?), or
    make a copy of the Vista already installed. Not sure if Dell provides this
    feature on a hidden partition. Someone else can respond.
    2. If you do not already have a copy of a Windows install CD for Win 98, Win ME
    (VOMITING LOUDLY) or Windows 2000, get one.
    3. Start up your XP Pro upgrade install. Let it reformat the partition with
    Vista on it, essentially wiping it out. When the XP Pro install asks about a
    previous version of Windows, insert your install CD from an older version of
    Windows. Proceed normally thereafter... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 10, 2007