    The subject says it all,
    Many thanks in advance
    -arifi

    arifi, Feb 19, 2007

  2. Which chipset?

    General Schvantzkoph, Feb 19, 2007

  3. arifi

    arifi Guest

    Oops.. Is this also a factor ?? I have not decided on the motherboard
    yet ... Any chipset I should prefer over others ?? I amtrying to
    balance value/performance ...

    arifi, Feb 19, 2007
  4. On Intel systems the chipset determines the memory type, on AMD systems
    it's the CPU.

    I take it from your second question that you don't have a motherboard yet.
    If that's the case you want to make sure that you get a motherboard that
    supports both the Pentium D and the Core2 so you can upgrade the CPU
    later. The Pentium D is a dreadful processor, the Core2 is light years
    ahead of it. Fortunately they are both socket 775 so you should be able to
    get a motherboard that's compatible with both of them. The mainstream
    Core2 motherboards use the 965 chipset, the 975 chipsets are also
    compatible. DDR2 533 will be fine if you don't intend to overclock, if you
    do want to overclock then you'll need 667 MHz or better. This is a side
    effect of how the chipsets and CPUs are clocked. The CPU and the chipset
    share the same source clock. There is only a limited number of memory
    clock multipliers available so the effective clock rate to the RAM will be
    either 533, 667 or 800 times the overclock ratio. If you have 667 RAM then
    you can use the 533 x Overclock ratio and you'll still be within spec.

    A final note on overclocking, I doubt you'll be able to do much with with
    the Pentium D. The Core2 has lots of headroom, I'm running my 2.66GHz
    Core2 at 3GHz and it's completely stable.

    General Schvantzkoph, Feb 19, 2007
  5. arifi

    DaveW Guest

    Yes.