Can I use a dual channel (800 FSB) on a non-dual channel board

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by _Lurker, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. _Lurker

    _Lurker Guest

    The generic version of my question is, 'can I use a dual channel
    processor (800 MHz FSB) on a non-dual channel motherboard'?

    My specifics are:

    I already have two computers (Shuttle SB75S) using a socket 478 Intel
    P4 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB, Hyperthreading Northwood, SL6WT in a dual
    channel configuration.
    (http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL6WT).

    I want to buy a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA motherboard
    (http://www.soyogroup.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194) because I need
    a modern machine and I have some legacy ISA cards.

    I would like to use the same processor in all machines so one can
    donate in case of disaster. Will a SL6WT work in this Soyo?

    I realize I won't get dual channel performance. In fact, I have a
    333MHz/PC2700, 512M stick from its dead predecessor. I plan to use
    that single stick.

    Or to ask another way, can the fancy processor dumb itself down to run
    in this board?

    Thanks.

    _Lurker, Feb 19, 2005

  2. _Lurker

    j.burghdoff Guest

    The answer was right in the link you posted for the Soyo motherboard.
    If you looked at the link you would see another link for supported
    cpu's. On that list it clearly states the board only supports 400Mhz
    and 533Mhz cpu's, it does not support the 800Mhz cpu. Also there has
    been numerous problems using ISA devices on this motherboard mainly
    with the devices not being recongized by the motherboard.

    I hope this helps you, your also not going to find any new motherboards
    that support ISA its pretty much a dead horse.

    j.burghdoff, Feb 20, 2005

  3. _Lurker

    _Lurker Guest

    I guess I'm wondering if I can buy a 800MHz CPU and run it at 400MHz.
    I don't expect the board to use the CPUs full potential.
    Bummer. Thanks for the heads up.
    That is my problem. Two of them have no PCI versions. Both are still
    in production - ISA only.

    Thanks for the info.

    _Lurker, Feb 21, 2005