    | |o o| | E-mail: or
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
    ( )

    ANTant, Sep 16, 2004

  2. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    I meant to spell OptiPlex correctly. ;) I found this:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx260/en/sm/mprcssr.htm#1106735
    for Small Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis computer. It looks like Dell's design?
    --
    "Have I told you how much I like ants, huh? Especially fried in a
    subtle blend of mech fluid and grated gears?" --Rampage to Inferno,

    ANTant, Sep 16, 2004

  3. the optiplex gx260 has a fan-less heatsink that relies on a plastic shroud
    and case fan to provide airflow over the processor heat sink. you can reuse
    this heat sink and shroud on a replacement processor and maintain the same
    level of cooling and noise or you can remove the shroud and heatsink and
    install your own combination heatsink with integrated fan (but this will
    likely add noise to the system).

    Christopher Muto, Sep 16, 2004
  4. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hmm, how come I got a few fan errors in BIOS a few weeks ago? The
    machine still works, but I think the fan is going to die sooner or later.
    I had to clear the event log in CMOS to remove the recorded errors.

    I think I forgot to mention this:
    Dell OptiPlex GX260 Small Mini Tower (SMT) Chassis computer with a Intel
    P4 CPU fan.

    ANTant, Sep 17, 2004
  5. ANTant

    Ben Myers Guest

    How about blasting the fan with compressed air to clean out all the dust? Same
    with the fan inside the power supply. If that fails, look up the part number of
    the fan assembly, call Dell (tel: 1800-357-3355) and order a replacement. Dell
    is quite reasonable in price for its non-electronic replacement parts.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 17, 2004
  6. ask a bad question, get a bad answer....
    the sff has a unique chassis with a unique blower fan. sounds like you need
    a replacement. call dell. i would not recommend using an alternate type of
    heatsink/fan configuration in the sff chassis.

    Christopher Muto, Sep 17, 2004
  7. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Well, I was hoping to avoid Dell. :) If that is the case due to proprietary
    fan, then I guess it has to be.

    ANTant, Sep 18, 2004