    kingston. I want to buy another stick of pc3200 ram made by Samung... My
    question is, is it ok to use 2 different companies ram together? Will it
    work ok? And is Samsung ok ram or is it crap? Thanks

    Chris, Jan 10, 2004

  2. Chris

    Paul Guest

    SIS keeps a qualified memory list, as well as whatever Asus lists:

    http://www.sis.com/ddr/ddr400.htm

    There is some Samsung on there.

    If you mix ram, the BIOS should select memory parameters to work
    with the slower of the two modules (like if one module is CAS2.5
    and the other is CAS3, then CAS3 is used for both). I would try
    your two PC3200 modules in slots 1 and 3. You may have to try
    both combinations, as in:

    DIMM slot 1 Kingston
    DIMM slot 2
    DIMM slot 3 Samsung

    DIMM slot 1 Samsung
    DIMM slot 2
    DIMM slot 3 Kingston

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 10, 2004

  3. Chris

    Ken Fox Guest

    Samsung RAM should be ok; it is used on some high end video cards, to
    mention a place you find it.

    All things being equal it would perhaps be better to get a matched stick,
    but the odds are that it will work with your pre-existing RAM, in dual
    channel, assuming your board is capable of that.

    ken

    Ken Fox, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Chris

    Curt Guest

    Just bought that board on Ebay. It does support Dual channel. However, while
    the Kingston/Samsung mix may work, (you'll have to try and see), everything
    I've read says you must have a matched pair DDR Dimms.

    Curt, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Chris

    Ken Fox Guest

    This issue comes up frequently on the Overclockers ng. Some say it is just
    an advertising pitch, to try to get you to buy a "matched pair" in one box,
    paying a premium of $20 or $30 or more dollars for the privilege. I don't
    really know. What I do know is that I bought 2 separate packages of 512MB
    sticks of DDR400 Corsair Value Select RAM, the cheapest they sell, from
    Fry's in S. California a few weeks back on an el cheapo rebate deal. I was
    told by some on the overclockers forum that it was crap and it wouldn't work
    and I'd never get dual channel out of it and blah blah blah. I was also
    told by one wise and sage person whose posts I always read on that ng, that
    most probably it would work just fine.

    In actuality that el cheapo RAM that cost me $130 incl. tax for a gigabyte,
    runs extremely stably, dual channel, at a FSB of 220, e.g. DDR 440, e.g. 10%
    overclock. I have run about 40 passes of Memtest86 with ZERO errors at that
    level of overclock, not to mention had a stable W2K system other than for
    some hiccups due to a recent bios flash, so I know that much of what you
    read and hear about this topic (RAM) needs to be taken with boulders of
    salt.

    Put the stuff in your board and test it the way you will use it. I have
    found CPU-Z and Memtest96 (both free downloads) to be invaluable in
    evaluating RAM. If the performance is good, you got good RAM. If the
    performance is bad, if you don't get dual channel, if the frequency is less
    than it should be (e.g. the ratio of FSB CPU to RAM is less than 1:1 without
    overclocking) then you should return the RAM for a refund without
    hesitation. Don't buy RAM from some place that won't take it back if it
    does not perform; a few extra dollars at the front end will be well worth it
    if you need to get an RMA.

    That is basically the long and the short of it.

    ken

    Ken Fox, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Chris

    Paul Guest

    Are you sure ? I just looked in the downloadable manual for the P4S800
    and the word "dual" only references the IDE interfaces.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 11, 2004