Can my MoBo destroy my graphics card?!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Mike, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I think I killed two graphics cards tonight. :(
    Have had a GeForcFX 5600 Ultra on my Abit KT7A-RAID (v1.3) for months now,
    with no problems. Tonight I powered down my computer to test an old hard
    drive. When trying to power up my machine wouldn't boot - fans spinning,
    disks whirring, but no video signal, and no BIOS beeps telling me there was
    no graphics card either. Tried reseating, rebooting with less drives etc.
    but it made no difference.
    Replacing the card with an older GeForce 4 4200Ti worked. For a while.... I
    was just in the middle of formatting the drive under DOS, when the monitor
    gave me a "frequency out of range" message and went black. Can you guess
    what happened when I tried to reboot? Same as with the other card, won't
    boot.
    What the hell has happened?? Have I hosed two perfectly good GeForces? Is
    it my board that's killing them? Or maybe the monitor?
    I put in an even older card, a 3dfx Voodoo3, which is working, thank God.
    Didn't want to boot into Windows though so just fiddled around in DOS a
    bit. Terrified to do anything more. :\
    Has anyone seen anything like this before? Got any suggestions?

    Thanks loads for your help,

    Cheers
    Mike

    Mike, Sep 2, 2004