    I an internal C: and an external Maxtor. Can I add another HD?

    Out of curiosity, how many drives can be connected to a 8400 XP Pro
    machine?

    joed, Apr 15, 2005

  2. joed

    Tom Scales Guest

    I suspect the limit is the Roman alphabet -- 26.

    USB2 drives through hubs, etc.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Three drives on 1 desktop shouldn't be an issue. I'd suggest using at
    most two internal, and get a third external one (unless you've upgraded
    your cooling and power supply). Bandwith wise, USB2 (480Mbps) &
    Firewire (400 or 800 Mbps) are greater than a single drive, so there
    shouldn't be any problems unless you're planning a fancy RAID setup.

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 16, 2005
  4. joed

    User N Guest

    Based on the benchmarks I've seen at Storage Review and elsewhere, I'm
    under the impression that many modern ATA drives can achieve sequential
    transfer rates of 50-60 MB/s on their outer tracks, and some SATA drives
    can achieve 60-70 MB/s. Furthermore, I'm under the impression that both
    burst at even higher rates [to and from their buffer]. What can USB 2.0
    Hi-Speed and Firewire 400 actually achieve?

    The 60MB/s and 50MB/s numbers sound good, but I don't recall ever
    seeing benchmarks that approached those rates. The external usb and
    firewire enclosure benchmarks I recall seeing reached the upper 30's
    (MB/s) for Firewire 400 and the lower 30's for USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.
    Which suggested to me that both interfaces would be a bottleneck.

    A quick Google...
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20030411/wd_external_hd-09.html
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041206/index.html

    User N, Apr 16, 2005
  5. You know, I've never really looked into it, but you seem to be correct,
    despite the high theoretical bandwith, the average bandwith is a bit
    lower. In the first article, the drive was sustaining over 30MB/s in
    USB2, which ought to be more than enough for most intents and purposes.
    My main concern would be the CPU uitlization of external drives. They
    don't support DMA, so the majority of the transfer overhead hits the
    CPU. From what I just read, Firewire tends to use less CPU, and again,
    if you just have one external drive this shouldn't be an issue.

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 16, 2005
  6. joed

    joed Guest

    With the comp makers no longer giving manuals showing the internal
    layout of comps, I don't want to screw around with mine because I'm a
    total klutz at these things. Externals were a big blessing for ones
    such as myself.

    Ain't trying anything fancy. I just plugged my first external in a USB
    socket and that was that. Simple and neat. it came with its own power
    supply, so that negates any power supply problem.

    I guess I should go to Google and read up on this USB stuff. I just
    moved up from an old Win 98 machine to one with XP Pro.

    Thanks to all who answered my question.

    joed, Apr 16, 2005
  7. I have 4 in mine; 2 SATA & 2 EIDE (no internal optical drives) with 2
    open SATA connectors on the mobo.

    Sparky Spartacus, Apr 17, 2005
  8. joed

    joed Guest

    I'm thinking of getting a second outboard jobber and forget about
    counting on CDs for program backups. Too many of the CDs I burn
    simply don't work later.

    joed, Apr 17, 2005