    Will Guest

    The Precision 390 workstation works with Core Duo dual core processors.
    If you replace the CPU with a quad core, will it work?

    Will, Apr 16, 2007

  2. Will

    S.Lewis Guest

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/WS390/en/ug_en/HTML/geninfo.htm#wp1065399

    I would assume that it will NOT work until you see either info. from Dell or
    a BIOS flash for your machine that indicates it WILL work.

    You might also nose around on the Intel site specifically around the chipset
    on your system board and see if Intel suggests the retail version of your
    board will support quad core.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Apr 16, 2007

  3. Will

    Will Guest

    Let me ask the question a different way: does the quad core Intel
    processor require a different motherboard chipset than the dual core?

    Will, Apr 16, 2007
  4. Will

    Ben Myers Guest

    I think that Stu is suggesting that you do some research yourself by reading
    chipset specs available on the Intel web site, after determining which chipset
    (Intel 945?) is in your Precision 390.

    Maybe someone else in this NG can answer you directly. I would assume that the
    information is not available to you on the Dell web site, either directly or
    possibly indirectly in the form of a quad core Precision 390 being offered by
    Dell right now... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 16, 2007