can set SiS video resolution higher than 1024x768?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by peter, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    I recently bought a compaq sr1520nx from compusa with a salmon K8S-LA
    motherboard with SiS 760 chip.

    The default installation does not allow display resolution any higher than
    1024x768. However, if I re-install winXP, then download the SiS 760 driver
    from microsoft's windows update, then I can set the resolution higher.

    However, this is not a satisfactory solution, because the microsoft driver
    is a bare bone driver and does not come with SiS utilities to change gamma,
    which is something I also want to do.

    If I download the full set of SiS utilities for this video board from hp,
    then after installing them I cannot change the resolution to higher than
    1024x768 again. Actually, the change resolution slider would let me do it,
    but the result is a virtual desktop scrollable in a 1024x768 resolution
    screen.

    Has anyone figured out how to change resolution to higher than 1024x768 and
    also be able to set the gamma on this chipset? Virtual desktop is usually a
    more advance feature than simply changing the screen resolution. Why is this
    feature available, but not the more straight forward feature of changing
    resolution to higher than 1024x768?

    SiS does not provide tech support directly. HP's tech support offered little
    help, and I have tried everything I can think of. Changing the type of
    monitor does not help.

    peter, Aug 8, 2005

  2. peter

    Paul Guest

    Integrated video chipsets usually have a few registers that
    program the amount of 3D texture memory to steal from main
    memory, and perhaps also an allocation for the frame buffer.
    If the BIOS sets the frame buffer allocation too low, and
    the driver is not clever enough to ignore what the BIOS
    has done, perhaps that is why you are stuck at 1024x768.

    On at least one computer here, I had reduced resolutions
    offered, until I installed a driver for the monitor. I would
    have thought the computer could talk to the monitor via
    DDC, and get the supported resolutions, but you never know.

    Another remote possibility, is that particular driver has
    a bug in it. But, seeing as it offered you a virtual desktop,
    that isn't too likely.

    The memory that the BIOS steals, for the use by the integrated
    video, is probably not memory that Windows can see or manage.
    If the memory is allocated before Windows is running, I think
    you can see how the BIOS could mess about with the successful
    operation of your video. Have a look in the BIOS screens, and
    see if there are any params that can be bumped up. A really
    cheesy BIOS might not show any options, in which case you'll
    just have to keep testing new drivers.

    Just some random guesses,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 9, 2005

  3. peter

    Paul Guest

    Bingo. Found a recipe here.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq_...B-1546-1909-CF55-DA50CB8A6FD4&SLanguage=en-us

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 15, 2005
  4. peter

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Aug 15, 2005
  5. peter

    peter Guest

    The other solution you posted (replacing a setup.ini file) does work!!
    (I found that posting via google search but cannot see that in my newsreader
    OE).

    I did search asus' web site but did not find that vital piece of article.
    How did you navigate/found it?

    peter, Sep 3, 2005
  6. peter

    peter Guest

  7. peter

    Paul Guest

    From support.asus.com.tw , you can find a FAQ page.
    I think I entered "K8S-MX" as the model number, then
    searched for all articles on the K8S-MX. The article
    was on page 2 of the returned results.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    The majority of FAQ articles on that page are a waste
    of time, but in this case, visiting the FAQ page paid off.
    Normally, I wouldn't suggest people try the FAQ page, as
    there are so few useful pieces of information on there.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 6, 2005