    What are the similarities?

    What are the differences?

    Which would you choose if prices are close, if one is much less expensive?

    Claude_Goldman, Oct 17, 2003

  2. I just took delivery on a D4600 and there was little to choose over a
    similarly-equipped GX270 except for a few options. Price was
    comparable. I went for the D4600 because of the more advanced sound
    and video cards available compared to those offered with the GX270.

    Kal

    Kalman Rubinson, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Claude,
    If you care about OMCI or any of the other Open Manage solutions Dell offers
    on it's "network optimized" business oriented PCs go with the Optiplex, if
    you don't go with the Dimension. If the prices are almost exactly the same
    for the same features (which usually isn't the case) I'd go with the
    Optiplex because usually (IMO) you get better support and if you/your
    company were ever to dive into the "Managed" PC standard w/ the Open Manage
    line of applications you'd have one less PC to replace.

    Regards,
    Benjamin

    Benjamin Chan, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Claude_Goldman

    Tom Almy Guest

    The GX270 is highly configurable. A low end unit would give you
    the performance of a Dimension 2400 (embedded graphics controller),
    while a high end would pretty much match an DImension 8300. If I
    wanted a low end system I'd certainly go for the GX270. My Celeron
    equiped GX60 is much more impressive in terms of build quality (and
    level of Dell support) than my Dimension 8200 (top end at the time) and
    Dimension 4300S.

    When the sale prices blow the right way, you can get an Optiplex for
    the same money or less than an equivalent Dimension. I paid within about
    $10 for the GX60 as a Dimension 2xxx would have cost, and gained a 3
    year warranty (of course I didn't get the software bundle, but I didn't
    need that anyway.)

    Tom Almy, Oct 18, 2003