Can someone give an honest opinion 2800XP+Barton

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Wildbill, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Wildbill

    Wildbill Guest

    I have been reading about thunderbirds,athalons, and bartons, all
    week, and I can honestly say that I am 100% confused!!!

    I just ordered a new system, that will be used mainly for audio and
    home video files, as well as surfing the net.This is my first AMD
    processor (have been fooled by Intel for 20 years) The new system is
    as follows:

    * AMD Athlon XP Barton 2800+ 2.083 GHz 333Mhz BUS 512k
    * Spire WhisperRock IV ultra quite Copper Base socket A fan
    * ASUS A7N8XDX NFORCE2 DDR400, 8XAGP, Sound, Lan, SATA, IEEE, USB2.0
    * 2 X 512Mb PC 3200 DDR400
    * 40.0GB Maxtor DiamondMax 7200rpm UDMA 133
    * CD/CD-RW/DVD COMBO 52x24x52x16
    * Mitsumi 3.5" floppy disk 1.44 Mb
    * 256 Bit AGP 3D Graphics card (up to 64 mb shared onboard)
    * AC 97 32 BIT Full Duplex sound card (onboard)
    * 56K V.90 AMR/CNR Modem riser card
    * 10/100 Network card adapter (onboard)
    * PowMax Mid Tower ATX Case 300W w/ Front USB
    * Multimedia amplified stereo speakers
    I also plan to use HDD and CD/RW drives from my %$% HP Pavilion ( if
    possible) comments appreciated.

    Thanks for your time,
    Wildbill

    Wildbill, Feb 3, 2004

  2. I'd reccomend a bigger hard drive for one, if you're doing music and video.
    You can burn up forty gigs right quick. (Maybe you should even get into
    RAID; I've got a crapload of storage coming soon...so I'll have near a half
    terabyte w00t). If you're using XP Professional on your Pavillion you will
    need to reformat the drive to make it work in a new drive controller setup.

    Honestly to me it almost sounds like overkill, but better over than
    underbuilt.

    Thunderbird: First Athlon core for Socket 462. 100 or 133 MHz front side
    bus. Non-DDR AFAIK. I wouldn't buy one, you can get an Applebred Duron at
    1.6 for maybe $5 more.

    T-Bred: There are two versions of this core which is a tremendous
    improvement on the tbird. Most XP anythings (excepting some 2500, 2600,
    2800s and all 3000 and 3200s) are all T-Bred cores.

    Barton: More cache than the T-bred and more effecient
    architecture...therefore lower clock rates and higher performance. XP3000,
    3200s are all Bartons as well as certain 2500, 2600, 2700 and 2800 model XP
    processors.

    If you need more info, lemme know, or ask Wes; he's more of a wizard at the
    real nitty-gritty. Good luck and have fun.

    Doug Whitesell, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Wildbill

    IanDunbar Guest

    Hi there,

    I run a similar system and do quite a lot of video work, as another poster
    has said video capture/editing eat disk space. I often capture an hour from
    my dv cam, edit it and render to dvd, it uses around 25 - 30GB including
    original capture, aux files and final dvd for an hour of dvd quality video,
    I've now got four disks totalling 560GB.

    I went with raid 0 for a while for the speed increase, but it scared the
    s**t out of me, if one drive fails you loose it all, how the hell do you
    back up 2 x 120GB of video/data. I got another couple of drives, backed up
    my stuff and removed raid, the speed decrease wasn't noticeable anyway and
    now I have 2 copies of my critical stuff.

    Intel is supposed to be a lot faster than AMD for video rendering, due to
    SSE2 support. I'm happy with my AMD setup, but if I had to do it again I'd
    consider Intel due to SSE2.

    I'd definitely consider a bigger power supply and more disk space.

    HTH

    Ian

    IanDunbar, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Wildbill

    Wildbill Guest

    Thanks for the input! I think you are correct about the HDD space, but
    I wanted a second opinion.

    Thanks,
    Wildbill

    Wildbill, Feb 3, 2004