Can;t wakeup Sony Vaio PCG-8A4L using external keyboard or mouse

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Guest, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    Can't find an answer in the archives or knowledge base.

    I have a Sony Vaio PCG-8A4L laptop running WinXP Home, SP1. The port
    replicator has the following devices attached:

    P/S2 Keyboard (Microsoft Natural)
    USB Mouse (Microsoft Intellimouse)
    Monitor
    100TX connection to local network and cable modem
    Power

    When I put the system into standby, I cannot get it to wake up by
    pressing the space bar on the keyboard or clicking a button on the
    mouse. It will only wake up by opening and using power button.

    Close lid set at "Do Nothing"
    Power Scheme:

    On AC Shut off Monitor Never
    Shut off Hard Never
    Standby 15
    Hibernate Never

    Device Manager:

    Mouse and Keyboard entries do not have "Power Management"
    tabs.
    USB entries don't have "Power Management" at the first level
    and have "Allow shutdown to conserve power" NOT checked at second
    level. The checkbox for "Allow wakeup" is DISABLED (cannot be
    checked).

    I got into the BIOS, but couldn't find any useful items.

    System is clean: ZoneAlarm Security Suite, AdAware, SpyBotSD.

    Your help is appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Jim Winer
    firebird
    aht
    exit109
    daht
    com

    Guest, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Guest

    bobb Guest

    I am guessing the bios is cofigured wrong/corrupted.

    Try reseting it to factory, then make the changes as usual, reboot and
    see what happens.

    Typical settings are:
    APCI - yes
    PM controlled by OS - yes
    wakeup events - keyboard, IRQ1.

    bobb, Dec 30, 2004

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    F2 while power up gets me into a very strange BIOS where I can change:
    date and time, printer and serial ports, boot device order, and that's
    about it.

    If I could figure out where the real BIOS was, I could probably fix
    the problem.

    What the BIOS does say that might be useful is:

    BIOS Version R0202B0
    EC BIOS Version RK202B0
    Video BIOS Version B0AM7_03

    Is there another way to get to the "real" BIOS on this machine?

    Thanks.

    Jim

    Guest, Jan 2, 2005
  4. Guest

    larwe Guest

    Many modern machines - sounds like this is one of them - can only be
    set up through ACPI. They don't have an inbuilt setup program for most
    parameters.

    larwe, Jan 2, 2005