Can the cmos battery in the dell latitude C600 series be easily replaced by the user?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bob Campbell, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Bob Campbell

    Bob Campbell Guest

    Hello

    I'm thinking about getting a used/refurbished latitude C610. I got
    sticker shock when my current laptop (sager) needed service to replace
    the cmos batt,
    about $150 (!). I want to keep the dell longer than the life of the
    cmos
    battery, so the question is 'Is it easy to replace the battery'? I do
    have mechanical skills, so
    if I could get some instructions somewhere, and a suitable replacement
    was available I feel I can do it.

    Any people with knowlege in this area out there?

    Thanks,

    Bob Campbell

    Bob Campbell, Dec 6, 2003

  2. No knowledge, but you might find the answer here:
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc610/en/index.htm

    Kathleen Anderson, Dec 6, 2003

  3. this is easily replaced. follow the link kathleen provided, or the more
    specific one (below) that details your concern. however, i strongly
    recommend that you consider buying new. getting a laptop that lacks a
    warranty is asking for trouble (you already know how outrageous repair costs
    can be). a dell inspiron 1100 can be had for $599 with 1 year warranty and
    combo dvd/cdrw drive. even in its simplest configuration it is a much
    faster system than the latitude c610. i would be hard pressed to pay even
    $300 for a used latitude c610 that has no warranty and likely a
    spent/defective battery. but if you decide that buying used works for you
    be sure to get the systems tag number off the machine and confirm that the
    owner information on record with dell matches what the seller tells you.
    and have the seller complete the transfer of ownership form. not having it
    registered with dell means that you will not be entitled to their service or
    support no matter what may remain on the warranty.
    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/latc610/sm_en/rsrvbatt.htm#1000202 (you
    may have to log on the first time you use the dell support site)

    Christopher Muto, Dec 7, 2003