    without any problems.

    Thanks,
    Phillip

    Phillip, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Phillip

    roadrunner Guest

    no, unless it says DVD-R and DVD-RW or both + and -

    roadrunner, Apr 12, 2004

  3. I've been thinking out this of late.

    Perhaps I should be telling people to go with no, or the minimum cd or
    dvd-rom drive from dell and purchase a dual format DVD+-RW aftermarket.

    I'm begining to wonder if that's what I should have done in the first place.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Phillip

    Tom Scales Guest

    A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a copy
    to a DVD+R disk. The +R is just its ability to WRITE, not its ability to
    READ.

    That said, buy it with a cheap drive and purchase a decent, and cheap, +/-
    drive.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Phillip

    Phillip Guest

    A DVD+R drive should be able to READ a DVD-R disk and therefore make a
    copy
    Can someone who has a new system confirm whether or not the DVD+R/RW drive
    can read regular DVD-R discs?

    Thanks,
    Phillip

    Phillip, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Phillip

    Douglas Guest

    Yes the NEC 2100a can READ -R and -RW discs.I sold my 2100 and put another
    $25 with what I got for it and bought the 2500a.It is a dual format drive.

    Douglas, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Phillip

    Hans S Guest

    The organic entity known as Phillip communicated the following:
    I wondered too and tested: I have been able to copy the DVD-RW discs from
    my Panasonic DVD video recorder on the NEC ND-5100A (DVD+) recorder in my
    Inspiron 8600 laptop. Also have copied DVD+RW discs to the video recorder's
    hard disc.

    As long as the discs are finalized, there seems to be no trouble reading
    between both standards.

    Hans

    Hans S, Apr 13, 2004
  8. Phillip

    Dave Guest

    There's a hacked firmware available for the 2100a that converts it
    into a dual format drive. OTOH, for $25 more I think I'd go with the
    real thing too.

    Dave

    Dave, Apr 14, 2004