    new USB 2.0 controller card.

    Thanks for any info or prior experiences,

    Danny in Yorktown

    Danny, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Danny

    Jerry Park Guest

    Don't know about your specific system, but my Inspiron 8200 laptop only
    has USB 1.1 ports. When I need faster ports, I use a cardbus
    USB/Firewire device. I've had no problems and have not turned off the US
    1.1 ports.

    Jerry Park, Jan 21, 2006

  3. Danny

    Pen Guest

    My Dimension 4100s have no problem with 2.0 add on cards. I
    use both
    types of USB depending on the needs of the external devices.

    Pen, Jan 21, 2006
  4. Danny

    Ben Myers Guest

    USB 2.0 and 1.1 live together in peace and harmony. I added a USB 2.0 card to a
    client's Dell Dimension 8200, to provide a high speed scanner and camera
    interface. Other stuff still works thru the USB 1.1 ports... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 21, 2006
  5. Danny

    Joel Guest

    I have a dimension 8200 with 1.1 ports, and I added both 2.0 USB and
    Firewire card and it works just fine.

    Joel, Jan 21, 2006
  6. Hi!
    In my experience, yes.

    I had a system with onboard USB 1.1 ports (a Pentium 133 originally) but no
    way to use the ports without an adapter riser. The controller itself could
    be enabled or disabled in system setup. It was enabled, but this didn't seem
    to make a difference to the OS (Win98SE)...hardware detection would always
    find it regardless of the setting in system setup.

    I put in an Opti FireLink based USB 2.0 PCI card and never had any problems
    with it. Usually the card was plugged into a laser printer. Sometimes I used
    an MP3 player or digital camera with it. I did not remove any of the drivers
    for the motherboard-provided USB.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jan 21, 2006
  7. I can imagine a scenario where the new chips get the old drivers,
    which cause them to function improperly, but USB 1.x and 2.0 coexist
    all the time, so it's not really a problem.

    William P.N. Smith, Jan 22, 2006
  8. Danny

    Ben Myers Guest

    If the drivers are well-written, often a challenge in the overly complex world
    of Windows, USB 1.1 drivers will find USB 1.1 chips and USB 2.0 drivers will
    find USB 2.0 chips, and all will be wonderful... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 22, 2006
  9. Are you sure it wasn't USB 1.0 (released in Jan. 1996)? USB 1.1 didn't
    get finalized until Sept. 1998, whereas the Pentium 133 came out in June
    1995 (but was still sold until about 1997).

    Nicholas Andrade, Jan 22, 2006
  10. Hi!
    This was a fairly late model board with support for P233 MMX processors. I'm
    not sure where that would date it, but I do seem to recall the BIOS having a
    1998 copyright date. (Yes, I know it could have been newer than the rest of
    the board.) I also know the CPU was much older than the board itself--it was
    used until I get ahold of a faster 233MHz CPU.

    IIRC, the differences between USB 1.0 and 1.1 weren't many.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Jan 23, 2006
  11. Danny

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yes. I have a super cheap WinLite USB 2.0 card in one of my systems and
    both old and new ports work fine.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jan 23, 2006