Can Win server and Win workstation co-exist on same PC?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by me63401, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. me63401

    me63401 Guest

    Can Win 2003 server software...... and Win XP Pro
    workstation software..... co -exist on the same PC?

    Supposing a person wanted to buy a Dell Precision
    workstation.... and create a small "training" network
    at home with his existing Dell 4100 pc......two PCs
    total.

    Could he install server software on the Precision and
    use it as a server.... as well as keep Win XP Pro on it
    to use it as a cad station? And have it do both
    functions at same time?

    I will I need a true out and out server...... with ONLY
    server software on it.... doing nothing else but BEING
    a server? And then hang the Precision and 4100 off it?

    John

    me63401, Oct 15, 2003

  2. me63401

    Tom Scales Guest

    John,

    Unless your application just flat won't run, then you can run it on Win 2003
    Server. It's pretty much just XP Pro with some extensions.

    If you truly MUST have both operating systems running at the same time, you
    can run them under a product called VMWare, but with a SIGNIFICANT
    performance penalty.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Oct 15, 2003

  3. You can not run both OS's at the same time with out additional software (see
    note below). You can dual boot the PC and choose what OS you want to run
    when you boot the computer. With that said why would you stick with XP and
    not just run CAD on Server? Things such as DirectX can be enable on Server
    if needed.

    Note: Conncetrix, now MS, has a software called Virtual PC. This software
    allows you to create a virtual PC on you XP or Server system. In other
    words, you can make Server your physical PCs OS and then create a Virtual XP
    pc to run XP and your CAD. I use this software to test new apps etc. and
    have run every OS from Win 3.1 to Server 2K3 with it on my XP desktop.
    Don't think that this will help you get around software activation, however.
    All you OS's and software requiring activation will still prompt you after
    install.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 15, 2003
  4. me63401

    me63401 Guest

    Unless your application just flat won't run, then you can run it on Win 2003
    Ahhhh!

    That's EXACTLY the answer I need.

    I just wasn't sure if all my regular apps... MS
    Office..... Autocad.. etc.... could run on the Win
    20003 server software.... as well as THAT machine
    acting as a server

    What Im wanting to do is buy another PC.... a Precision
    since Im the cad guy at work.... but Im also wanting to
    create a small home network so I can learn how to
    "administrate" Win 2003 network.... Exchange server....
    etc.

    Can I do the above ?

    John

    me63401, Oct 15, 2003
  5. me63401

    me63401 Guest

    Note: Conncetrix, now MS, has a software called Virtual PC.

    Im aware of such software above...

    But if I can in fact run all my reg apps such as MS
    Office and Autocad on Win 2003 server....is there any
    advantage to using VMWare and the above anyway?

    John

    me63401, Oct 15, 2003
  6. me63401

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    you can do the above, but don't forget that Active Directory and the rest of
    the server apps will slow down your pc's performance. are you also going to
    configure dns manually or let AD autoconfigure it for you?

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Oct 16, 2003
  7. me63401

    me63401 Guest

    you can do the above, but don't forget that Active Directory and the rest of
    OK.... so there is more "overhead" in server software,
    right?
    Im sorry to say.... but the answer is "I don't know"

    I don't know cause at this moment I know very little
    abt networks and server software, etc. That's why Im
    wanting to setup a taring lab at home. Then I can muck
    around all I like and learn.

    Maybe instead of putting all the server stuff on the
    new Precision.... maybe I should put it on my old Dell
    4100? Cause the 4100 will only be used by my nephew
    just once in awhile to write a term paper or surf the
    web when he comes over. I will be using the Precision
    as my main machine and using it a lot more than the
    4100.

    Would the above strategy be best?

    Or.... is the best solution to buy a dedicated "server"
    class PC..... and hang the two workstation PCs above
    (Precision and 4100) off it? For a total of three PCs?

    Bottom line.... will I really need three PCs to create
    this test lab? A true server machine and then two
    workstation PCs?

    John

    me63401, Oct 16, 2003
  8. John,

    This really isn't as difficult as it seems. Email me directly exactly what
    you want to run (software from Server to Games) and the specs of both PCs
    and I'll look it over and send/post back my recommendations. Also add some
    detail about how you connect to the internet and share that connection
    between the PCs

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 16, 2003
  9. me63401

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    feel free to post on the NG so others can benefit from this experience as
    well.
    it all depends on what the OP wants to learn from server administration that
    will determine his home test network setup.

    2 servers + 2 clients are my consideration for minimum requirements.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Oct 16, 2003
  10. I plan to post some recommendations, however, it's completely subjective
    when it comes to these types of configs. Each persons environment and needs
    are different so suggestions for the OP may not apply to the reader at all.

    Just as an example. If the purpose for a network is learning 2k3 Server
    than I'd strongly suggest VirtualPC or VMWare (as long as the host PC has
    enough memory) for the server OS. On the other hand if the servers are
    going to be used long term then use VPC or VMW for the client OS and the
    server as host, or just install the apps on the server (not ideal for a true
    server env) and skip the VPC software.

    This is why I requested more detail about the intended use of the system.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 16, 2003
  11. me63401

    me63401 Guest

    Currently I only have a single Dell 4100 at home
    running Win XP Pro.

    I connect the Internet using a LinkSys 4 port router.

    My goals are..... to buy another PC..... a Dell
    Precision since I do CAd work for a living..... and to
    create a network and run and lear to administer Win
    2003 server..... Exchange server.... etc.

    I was hoping I could not only use the new Precision as
    a CAD workstation.... but also install Win server and
    Exchange on it and learn these as well

    Can this be done with two PCs?

    Or should one get three PCs and have dedicated "server"
    only?

    Im not against buying a dedicate server class
    machine.... but if I could use the Precision in both
    "modes"..... Im ok with that as well.

    John

    me63401, Oct 16, 2003
  12. Quick question: Is this all being done "at home" or are
    the additional systems offsite?

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Oct 16, 2003
  13. Unless you plan to convert the learning server over to a real server I
    wouldn't waist the money an a real server.

    What's the spec on the 4100? Being that this is only a leaning environment
    you server HW does not need to be hefty.

    With the info provided so far, I'd use the 4100 as the server but we need to
    know how much memory and disk space the PC has.

    I hate to sound like a sales man for VirtualPC but when it comes to learning
    new things or testing new software, I almost always use VPC over tying up an
    entire PC for an environment that I'm only going to destroy after some time.
    The key here is memory!!! If your new Precision is loaded with memory then
    a VPC solution is nice because you can create a server or two and clients
    and run it all right on the new PC. It's really a matter of convenience
    more than anything else. I can run several VPC in windows on my desktop and
    switch back and forth with the click of a mouse. There are some minor
    limitation and it can be a bit slow (the VPC env) but I like it over a
    monitor switch or double keyboards, mouse and monitors. The other major
    advantage is you can create a completely antonymous testing environment with
    out the need to disrupt you everyday use desktop.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 16, 2003
  14. me63401

    me63401 Guest

    Quick question: Is this all being done "at home" or are
    Would be done at home

    I need another second PC anyway as at times there are
    two people in my house wanting to use my cable
    connection at same time

    So Im buying a new 2nd PC anyway

    Im not against using VMWare..... but I will still be
    buying a second PC

    Does that info help any?

    John

    me63401, Oct 16, 2003
  15. me63401

    me63401 Guest

    It is an 800 mhz Pentium 3 with 512 megs ram and 40gig
    hard drive currently running Win XP Pro (workstation
    OS).
    When I do buy the new Precision Im gonna shoot for a
    gig of ram

    Im not against using VMWare...... but I might actually
    keep this Win2003/Excahnge server running permanent
    even after learning the ropes.

    Should I get the Precision AND get VMWare as well then?

    If yes I know that VWare costs abt $300 or so.....
    correct?

    John

    me63401, Oct 16, 2003
  16. Ok so here is what I see. You want to build a server, 2K3 and Exchange, and
    you very well may make it a permanent part of your network. Your 4100 is a
    P800 w/ 512mb RAM and 4gig HD.

    The new precision is going to have 1 gig RAM and lots more. You want to use
    it as you main DT and you'll be running CAD.

    Here is what I'd do. Use the 4100 as a server. You have enough RAM but
    you're a bit light on HD space. 40 will certainly do but it wouldn't hurt
    to add a couple more disks so you can play with 2K3's software RAID and it's
    always best to keep you databases (Active Directory and Exchange in your
    case) data files and log files on different drives. Also you'll be using
    this server for file storage and it's good to keep that on a disk other then
    you OS disk/partition. What I might do is buy 2 additional 40 gig drives,
    create a 10 gig mirrored partition for the OS (uses 10 gig on 2 drives) then
    create a RAID 5 drive by using 30 gig of all three drives (netting you 60
    gig of storage) Then use the last 10 gig and create a software installation
    partition where you can do admin installs of you software and create RIS
    (Remote Installation Service) images of the XP and other OS's.

    This assumes you don't want to buy an ATA RAID card. Or go SCSI and put
    that 40 gig IDE in your new PC. If you buy a RAID card then use its setup
    to create RAID 5 containers. I'd create 2 (1 for OS and 1 for installations)
    using 5 gig per drive (netting 2 10 gig drives) and 1 using 30 gig per drive
    (netting 1 60 gig)

    From there you can install Win2K3 and Exchange and you can even run SQL if
    you have need for it. Once all this is running you most likely won't want
    to do any other application based activity on it. More importantly, one
    rule of servers is to only install the software necessary for it to perform
    it primary role. Any other software could be a security risk. I've see
    some environments were everything other than the server software is disabled
    or not installed including IE.

    Clients: Well once the server is setup you can have your new Precision join
    the domain and access the server. Thing is you don't really want to use
    your main client PC as the PC that you are testing and learning things like
    remote installation, and Group Policies. Here again is were VPC or VMWare
    can come in handy. Use it on you new PC to create several virtual clients
    so you can play with the interaction of clients to server.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 16, 2003
  17. me63401

    me63401 Guest

    Thing is you don't really want to use
    I see!

    Good plan and thank you!

    OK... so to recap

    I would instal the server software on the 4100......
    now would that allow my nephew to use that machine for
    term papers and surfing the net and such?

    John

    me63401, Oct 17, 2003
  18. Among the other suggestions, that's how I'd do it.

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Oct 17, 2003
  19. me63401

    the yeti Guest

    You mentioned above somthing about buying Server Class hardware.
    Thats expensive. If you can afford that go out and buy 4 or 5 P2's
    P3's K6-2's what ever you can get cheap. The real way to learn
    Windows Networking is to have different OS's running on Different
    hardware platforms. You'll love having all the computers, you can
    surf the Web in the kitchen while cooking dinner. All you really need
    for a server at home is a Box with a 500 MHZ CPU or better, with 256
    MB of RAM ( or what ever you can stuff in it). If you can afford it,
    the get 3 hard drives and Play with RAID.

    Learning Networking is much more than learning an Operating System.
    You need to have routers, switches, and cables. That way you can
    trouble shoot problems . I've lost connectivity to a PC in the living
    room several times. Once I had to power cycle a Linksys switch. The
    other time my cat chewed through a CAT5 cable.

    Plus another advantage to using older, less expensive hardware is that
    there is usually a lot of documentation on the web, and if you fry a
    motherboard learning how to hot swap drives youare not out that much
    in $$$

    the yeti, Oct 18, 2003
  20. me63401

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    Sounds to me like you want to set up dual booting on the new Dell,
    unless W3000 will run the cad apps you want to.

    Paul Knudsen, Oct 18, 2003