can XP run from a usb external IDE?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by no.top.post, Dec 6, 2010.

  1. no.top.post

    no.top.post Guest

    I don't use Micro$loth win, but when I last bought a
    80 GB IDE, I asked the vendor to put W98 on the
    first 1 GB partition. And later I was able use it to
    connect via my friends Fixed-Wireless-Terminal.
    But when I bought my own FWT, it had the new
    usb "Zero-CD" system, which needs XP or later.

    I refuse to pay for Micro$loth crap !!

    Now a "Seagate 3.5" 1TB expansion hard drive ..
    plug-n-play...USB 2.0..." could be usefull,
    provided it's not just a flash-mem and it can
    be asscessed by standard USB, for linux too.

    So, even if it's slow, if I asked the vendor
    to install XP on the first 4GB, could I access
    the FWT via XP using my non-M$-PCs?

    I.e. can XP be moved between PCs via
    a usb-IDE?

    == TIA.

    no.top.post, Dec 6, 2010

  2. I.e. can XP be moved between PCs via
    IF the motherboard BIOS supported booting from USB device, then you
    could do it.

    --
    @[email protected] Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.36

    Man-wai Chang, Dec 6, 2010

  3. no.top.post

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Only if you want trouble.

    Sjouke Burry, Dec 6, 2010
  4. no.top.post

    Paul Guest

    WinXP has activation, and will notice significant
    hardware differences between the two PCs. If WinXP
    didn't have activation, you could buy one copy and
    run all the computers in the house with the same
    copy. And that's why they added activation.

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

    If the storage device with the copy of WinXP on it,
    is only used with the one PC, I don't see a problem
    with it being on a USB storage device. There is a
    hack, to make WinXP work there. Look for
    "boot bus extender" for more info, as to what
    kind of registry hack is required to make it work.
    Out of the box, WinXP won't boot from a USB storage,
    until the hack is done.

    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2201401.php

    (A more complete recipe.)

    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic116114.html

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 6, 2010
  5. Note that WinXP would blue-screen if the installed hardware changed! :)

    --
    @[email protected] Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.36
    ^ ^ 13:24:01 up 20:12 1 user load average: 0.00 0.02 0.04
    ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):

    Man-wai Chang, Dec 7, 2010