    My Western Digital drive died. I recovered the files I want and would
    like to RMA the drive. Can I erase the drive without voiding the
    warranty with a magnet or something.

    _4G0NY, Mar 1, 2004

  2. _4G0NY

    Ed Medlin Guest

    I doubt you could clean the drive any better by those means. If someone
    really wanted to recover data, they probably could. If it will run at all
    you might want to overwrite the drive using something like Eraser or one
    of the programs like it. I really doubt that anyone at WD would go to the
    trouble of trying to recover data from a dead drive if it is not working
    at all. If the data is that sensitive, I would not RMA it at all, I would
    just destroy it.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Mar 1, 2004

  3. _4G0NY

    Fry Guest

    I mean yeah you can with a powerful magnet but they will vid warranty

    Fry, Mar 1, 2004
  4. _4G0NY

    S.Heenan Guest

    Yes, if you have access to an electromagnet normally used to pick up crushed
    cars. An ordinary samarium-cobalt or NIB magnet will not do the trick. An
    MRI scanner should also work well.

    S.Heenan, Mar 6, 2004
  5. _4G0NY

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Why don't you ask Western Digital what they recommend? Your question must
    have come up many times.

    --
    Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
    For communication,

    Phil Weldon, Mar 6, 2004
  6. _4G0NY

    mrdancer Guest

    I doubt you could reliably erase the HDD with a magnet (strong enough that
    you could practically attain). I would just use WD's low-level format
    utility "write zeros to drive" to wipe it clean. If the HDD is too dead for
    that utility to work, then try throwing the HDD in the freezer for an hour
    before trying it again. If that doesn't work, I seriously doubt WD is going
    to go to any more trouble than that to try to get to your data. As another
    poster mentioned, if you're that worried about it, don't RMA it, HDDs are
    getting fairly inexpensive these days....(what's your peace-of-mind worth?).

    mrdancer, Mar 7, 2004