    is a menu item that lets you select between the two, but it can only be
    applied after the images have been displayed as pictures.

    Thanks for any help.

    d49ot, Aug 10, 2004

  2. There is a mod to the config file; I don't recall what I did, but
    searching the file, I think that it is this:

    Add a Property named "PreferPlainText" of class Boolean, with value "Yes"

    You will need the Property List Editor to do this. It's part of the
    development package that should have been on a separate CD with your
    system or OS.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Dismissing HTML images is easy; Click on "viewing" in the Mail Prefs
    panel, ad make sure that "Display images and embedded objects in HTML
    messages" is not checked.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 10, 2004
  4. From Terminal.app, enter:

    defaults write com.apple.mail PreferPlainText -bool TRUE[/QUOTE]

    Well, yeah, if you're a unix geek. <g>

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 10, 2004
  5. d49ot

    Richard H Guest

    Doesn't Preferences...Viewing: 'Display images and embedded objects in HTML
    messages' control this ?

    (NB: I'm using Mail 1.2.5 in Jaguar)

    Richard H, Aug 10, 2004
  6. Using PLE (if it's installed) to manually create a new property in
    the .plist file is less geeky than a single line typed (actually,
    copied and pasted) into Terminal (installed on every OS X Mac)?[/QUOTE]

    Well, it's less unix-geeky. <g>

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 10, 2004
  7. d49ot

    wheat Guest

    _Is_ there a way to get mail to not display in-line images? Even a
    third party hack?

    cheers.

    wheat, Aug 12, 2004
  8. Yes, I did. However, it applies only to linked images, not to image
    attachments--at least not to all image attachments.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 12, 2004
  9. d49ot

    wheat Guest

    They were refering to HTML vs Plain Text. This is in the preferences
    (or can be changed on the command line).

    I am asking whether there is a way (perhaps changing a value in a plist
    that is not represented in the preferences pane), to prevent attached
    images from being displayed in the Viewer Window. In eudora for
    example, attachments were represented by an icon. Double clicking the
    icon woud display the attachment with another application. Mail is
    'helping' by displaying some attachments in-line, that is in the viewer
    window. I would rather only view attachments as icons (or be able to
    turn this abilility of Mail.app off now and then.

    cheers.

    wheat, Aug 17, 2004