    can boot into OS 9. Is there a utility that will make invisible files
    visible in OS 9?

    TIA

    Paul Fuchs, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Paul Fuchs

    l Guest

    There is. But there seems to be no good way re_size_ a partition or
    divide it into multiple partitions while leaving the others intact.
    Reformatting has always been possible AFAIK.

    ..lauri

    l, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Paul Fuchs

    Tom Stiller Guest

    You can always reformat a partition (volume) with the Erase function of
    Disk Utility. A partition can be made smaller or subdivided using
    Terminal.app and the pdisk command; however, that path is not for the
    faint of heart.

    Note that no changes or formatting can be applied to a partition which
    cannot be unmounted. That excludes the startup partition and any
    partition which contains open files.

    Tom Stiller, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Paul Fuchs

    D P Schreber Guest

    Right, reformatting a single partition without disturbing any others has
    always been supported, as long as you're not trying to reformat the boot
    volume.

    The pdisk utility is designed do these things, by manipulating the
    partition map directly. I've never used it in osx (my experience with
    it is in ppc-linux) but it is installed, in /usr/sbin. Does it not
    work?

    D P Schreber, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Paul Fuchs

    matt neuburg Guest

    I used to use BuscaInvisibles for this. I'll send it to you if you can't
    find it on an old sumex mirror. m.

    matt neuburg, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Paul Fuchs

    l Guest

    And where hardware limitations (such as with first revision iMacs and
    their ability to only boot off the first 8(?)GBs of a disk) are not on
    the way, one can create a bootable system on another partition, as long
    as it fits, reboot from that and format The boot volume. Or use a
    bootable removable media and boot from that.
    I have not tried such a thing, but since I would have to do a full
    backup first anyway, I do not think I ever will. Trying to resize
    on-the-fly without backing up could possibly save many hours of time,
    but could as well lose many years worth of irrecoverable non-backed-up
    data. I do not back my data up at all, due to having too much data and
    too little disk, so I try to avoid things that may lead to disasters ;)

    ..lauri

    l, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Paul Fuchs

    D P Schreber Guest

    If you're willing a reformat a partition, you should be willing to break
    it up into sub-partitions. Conceptually, the latter is no more
    dangerous than the former. Doing it with pdisk takes a bit of nerve,
    since you have to enter large numbers very carefully. The right fix
    for that is for Apple to support this operation graphically in Disk
    Utility. Not that I ever expect to see this...

    Changing sizes of partitions is likewise no more dangerous than
    reformatting, though in this case you'd have to be willing to reformat
    at least two existing partitions for each resize.

    D P Schreber, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Paul Fuchs

    Kurt L. Guest

    There is. But there seems to be no good way re_size_ a partition or
    I don't know whether how well it works, but there is a product to
    manage partitions on the Mac discs:
    http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.html

    Cheers,

    Kurt L.

    Kurt L., Dec 21, 2004
  9. Paul Fuchs

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    Thanks for the responses. Let me explain my deal further.

    I have a Pismo which has a totally FU logic board and is headed to the
    abatoir shortly. I have a La Cie 120 FW with two partitions. One
    partition (small) was designed to backup my internal HD system. The
    other (much larger) is the rips from all my CD's and vinyl. This is
    backed up on CD-ROMS, but reloading them would be really tedious and to
    be avoided.

    I have a friend who works at Apple. They are allowed to buy three new
    computers per year at a significant discount, and she is getting me an
    iMac G5 on Jan.3. Another friend has lent me her Pismo while she is
    traveling for the holidays. I was going to use my FW drive as the boot
    drive, and leave her account unintruded. This probem with the FW clone
    not working has thus given my a serious obstacle. However, I was able
    (today) to clone to the big partition, so this has solved my immediate
    problem of using my friend's Pismo. So my problem is less immediate
    than when I posted. However, my OS X backup (small partition) on my La
    Cie is still basically useless, and I would like to use it to clone my
    new iMac system partition when I get it.

    I figure that whatever is causing this strange problem will be
    eliminated if I can clear all the files on my small partition. But I
    really don't want to screw up my big partition because restoring it will
    be many hours of work.

    As to a disk utility reformat. the info makes it quite clear that
    reformating any partition will erase the entire physical drive. Is "I"
    sayimg - if you change the size of the small partition by dividing it
    into two additional partitions, it will reformat that partition while
    leaving other partitions intact?

    Thanks again for the help.

    Paul Fuchs, Dec 22, 2004
  10. Paul Fuchs

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    My search at Sumex came up empty. Would appreciate it if you sent it to
    me. Probably safer than trying a partial drive reformat - if it works,
    i.e. solves this weird problem.

    Thanks again, Matt.

    Paul Fuchs, Dec 22, 2004
  11. Paul Fuchs

    D P Schreber Guest

    Read it again. The first description says: "erasing a _disk_ [my
    emphasis] results in all volumes of that disk being erased". This is
    not what you're doing. The second description says "Erasing a volume
    results in a clean volume being created". _This_ is what you're doing.

    Select the volume you want to reformat. You should then see
    three tabs: First Aid, Erase, Restore. If you see five tabs (Partition
    and RAID are the two others), you selected the drive instead of the
    volume. Go back and select the volume. Now pick the Erase tab and
    proceed to reformat/erase that volume only.

    D P Schreber, Dec 22, 2004