    be dual channel or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
    backs benifits ?

    Thanks.

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, Jun 12, 2004

  2. This is a joke, right? What do you think the numbers 754 and 940 represent?
    (Hint: # of pins).
    Try using Google.

    Peter van der Goes, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Sorry i mean the two diff 64 bit cpu types 939 940 :) well i think i
    do :)

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, Jun 12, 2004

    Will Dormann Guest

    Absolutely. Just make sure your tool kit has a hammer, though, or you
    might not get it to fit.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Jun 12, 2004

    xman Charlie Guest

    Makes a good key fob for your key rings...

    my 2 cents

    xman Charlie, Jun 13, 2004

    rstlne Guest

    Dear god

    is it to the stage now where you have to lie to us..
    JUST GO BUY YOUR NEW COMPUTER KIT AND STOP ASKING QUESTIONS.
    You'll never actually be able to buy the top line kit after a month of
    research. It's really impossible.. by the time you have EVERY answer that
    you want then it's time to ask more questions..
    JUST GO BUY SOMETHING.

    rstlne, Jun 14, 2004

    Canus_Lupis Guest

    He would love to go out and buy a new computer but he is not allowed to
    cross the street on his own.

    Canus_Lupis, Jun 14, 2004

    johny Guest

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/socket_939-02.html

    According to this article 939pin CPU will fit into the 940 socket, no it
    won't boot, but it will fit, unfortunately for people like the one who
    started this thread. Bytheway, NO, YOU CAN'T PLUG 754 PIN CPU INTO SOCKET
    940 MOBO!

    940pin cpu is for Socket 940
    939pin cpu is for Socket 939
    754pin cpu is for Socket 754
    478pin cpu is for Socket 478
    462pin cpu is for Socket A
    etc. and don't try anything stupid

    johny, Jun 14, 2004

    Tim Guest

    Nonsense Lay the CPU on the mobo then back over it with an SUV. And wear a
    grounding strap for God's sake. I can't believe the misinformation around
    here.

    Tim, Jun 14, 2004
  10. Yep that worked, thats how i got my old Socket 7 cpu into the Pentium
    2 board still working to this day :p

    We Live for the One we Die for the One, Jun 14, 2004

    Tim Guest

    Socket 7 to Slot 1? That's some SUV!

    Tim, Jun 14, 2004

    Ben Pope Guest

    No. Since they're different.
    With questions like that, "he" may need to ask quite a few.
    Loads. Have been for over a year.
    The SINGLE channel memory controller is built onto the 754 chip. NO, you
    can't plug a chip with 754 pins into a socket with 940 pins. The 940 (and
    939) pin chips are dual channel. Hence the extra pin count.

    940 and 939 will do Dual Channel. 940 needs registered DIMMS (or is that
    buffered, always forget), 939 doesn't.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jun 14, 2004
  13. For as long as this guy's been posting, he doesn't know the answer to this
    question?

    On the other hand, if he/she doesn't know the answer to this question, how
    do they ever get to feel comfortable with the highly opinionated comments
    he/she makes from time to time?

    => Reasonable chance he/she is looking for attention/trolling for
    connections.

    Frank Jelenko, Jun 18, 2004
  14. Surprise surprise, THG is wrong again :) It'll fit, but only if you use a
    hammer. Look at the photos of the socket, specifically the keyed pinholed on
    the right hand side about 2/3 the way down. See how they're different
    between the sockets? Or the ones on the left hand side. Heck, even where it
    says "Only one pin different" there two photos clearly showing that there's
    not one, but NINE pins different. Inserting a 940 into a 939 will result in
    5 bent pins, a 939 into a 940 will result in 4 bent pins.

    [...]

    Michael Brown, Jun 19, 2004