Can You Restore Your OEM MBR?

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Reed, Aug 1, 2007.

  1. Reed

    Reed Guest

    The XP installation does not use the MBR to determine that your system is a
    tablet PC. This determination is made during the installation process by
    the Windows installer. It looks at the hardware inventory of your system.
    If the system includes a recognized digitizer, the installer assumes the
    system is a tablet PC.

    The Windows XP Tablet PC Edition is a seperate SKU, just like Windows XP
    Home, Media Center, etc. Disk 1 of each of these versions of Windows XP is
    identical, but Disk 2 is different depending on the version. You will not
    be able to do a complete install of XP Tablet from a retail XP CD set.

    Another thing to consider is that your tablet PC has several device drivers
    that may be unique to that product such as button drivers, wireless drivers,
    etc. You won't get these from a retail XP CD set.

    Since you have it, why not use your OEM XP recovery disk that you received
    with your system to restore your tablet PC? That's really the best way.

    -Reed Rinn
    MVP Shell / User

    Reed, Aug 1, 2007

  2. Reed

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    I've been thinking of wiping out my hard disk fresh, including the master
    book record (MBR). So far, if I put in a retail XP CD for reinstall, it will
    recognize it's a Tablet PC, and I DON'T need to activate because it's
    "preactivated" by OEM.

    I am *thinking* it might be the MBR that makes XP recognize it's a Tablet PC
    and no need for activation. If I wipe out my MBR, does it mean I will
    forever need to activate on this Tablet PC after every reinstall? Worse
    still, does this mean the XP install it won't accept the Tablet product key?
    Can I put in my *OEM XP recovery disk* to restore my MBR?

    Thanks thanks many thanks for your help!

    Guest, Aug 1, 2007

  3. Reed

    Chris H Guest

    Chris H, Aug 1, 2007
  4. Reed

    Reed Guest

    As Chris mentioned, you need to contact your system manufacturer for the CD
    set.

    -Reed Rinn
    MVP Shell / User

    Reed, Aug 2, 2007
  5. Reed

    Reed Guest

    Yes, each manufacturer has a SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) code in
    their BIOS that allows their specific OEM version of Windows or Vista to
    install without a product key.

    -Reed Rinn
    MVP Shell / User

    Reed, Aug 2, 2007
  6. Reed

    Guest Guest

    Hello Reed thanks for your speedy help and reply!

    Thanks for clarifying how XP determines a Tablet PC. I did a search online
    and found this.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Preinstallation

    It looks like the XP installer looks for a specific MDI code in your BIOS to
    preserve activation. As for determining if it's a Tablet PC, it might be
    looking for specific hardware as you said. I've downloaded the latest
    drivers for the tablet, so that's not a problem. All you need is Disc 2 and
    you've got yourself a clean installation. It's much faster and more stable
    and none of the "junkware" like trial software you get from the recovery
    disk install. Anyone who's interested in clean XP Tablet installs can try
    the above : ]

    I'll be happy to wipe my MBR now : ]

    Please tell me what you think! : ]

    Guest, Aug 2, 2007
  7. Reed

    Guest Guest

    By the way Reed. Do I need to contact my OEM to purchase CD 2? I can't seem
    to find it on the MS site.

    I haven't wiped out my hard disk since I got my Tablet, it's preactivated by
    my OEM. But the computer is getting really sluggish after a few years and
    I'd like to reformat and start again. I've read some sites that you can just
    reinstall with a retail XP CD, but from what you said it seems it won't
    work. So I need to order XP CD 1 from the OEM, right?

    Thanks a lot for your help!

    Guest, Aug 2, 2007