    Just canceled my order after they told me about a 2 week delay in
    shipping. Does anyone know if they can still keep me on the hook for
    this? I think i'll buy a Sony. Thanks.

    RO, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Before you go Sony, do a search on Sony's support... Not good!

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Jun 5, 2004

  3. No, they cannot - get a confirmation by mail or email just in case.

    If they do ship the system, simply refuse delivery.

    Edward J. Neth, Jun 5, 2004
  4. RO

    RO Guest

    Thanks Larry but how much worse than Dell's service COULD it be??
    Bought my last pc 4 years ago. they have really slid!

    RO, Jun 5, 2004
  5. RO

    Eric Shune Guest

    they don't charge your account until the shipping day but as said by another
    check out Sony before you change your mind.

    Eric Shune, Jun 5, 2004
  6. RO

    Tom Scales Guest

    Lots worse. Dell has slipped a lot, but still comes in number 1 in most
    surveys. Sony comes in near the bottom.

    Tom Scales, Jun 5, 2004
  7. RO

    Rivera Guest

    Damn, there's a surprise response. Dell just plain sucks anymore. I placed
    an order three months ago for a Dell Axim. Within 5 minutes after placing
    the order, I realized I had ordered the wrong model in error. I called
    within the 5 minutes and got some lady I could barley understand. She
    assured me the order was cancelled. Guess what, it shipped. I refused it.
    Dell got it back on April 16th and still have not credited it back to my
    credit card. I've called 3 times and each time got some moron who could
    barley speak English with a promise it would be resolved within 4 days. I
    guess I will file a claim with the Federal Trade Comm and BBB.

    Rivera, Jun 5, 2004
  8. Why not take the easy way out (saving yourself a quart of stomach acid)
    and just call your credit card co.? I have a few CCs and this has always
    been a simple & user friendly procedure. Worst case based on my
    experience is that your CC company might send you some forms to complete
    & return (an affidavit).

    Vince McGowan, Jun 6, 2004
  9. RO

    PC Medic Guest

    Hmm, you refused the package, Dell received it on 4/16, still has not
    reversed the charge....
    And you have not disputed the charge with your card issuer because???

    PC Medic, Jun 6, 2004
  10. RO

    Rivera Guest

    Because Dell promised me (again last week) that they would take care of
    this. I will dispute the charge on Monday and complain as mentioned earlier.
    I knew Dell was sorry as hell, but I did think that they would be more
    accountable than they have been with this.

    Rivera, Jun 6, 2004
  11. RO

    Colin Wilson Guest

    Errr... Dell were sorry ? - perhaps the guy on the end of the phone was,
    but hey, they`ve got YOUR money !

    Colin Wilson, Jun 6, 2004
  12. RO

    Irene Guest

    What can I say. Some low level clerk at a large corporation didn't do what
    he/she promised and you waited well over a month.

    I'm usually very sympathetic, but sorry, not this time. Why did you wait so
    long?

    Irene, Jun 6, 2004
  13. RO

    Rivera Guest

    "So long"?
    The policy states it may take up to 30 days to issue a credit, so, I started
    calling on May 16th (30 days later. Was promised that the matter would be
    taken care of in 3-4 working days. When it was not, I called again.

    Rivera, Jun 6, 2004
  14. RO

    Irene Guest

    I guess we just view things like that a little differently.
    We ask once. If the credit doesn't appear within a couple of work days, we
    immediately dispute the charge.
    We have had hundreds of credits issued back to one or the other of our
    credit cards. Over ninety percent appear within 48 hours. Dell is one of the
    most notable(and worst) exceptions.
    Very slow.

    Irene, Jun 6, 2004
  15. They couldn't possibly be worse than Dell. There is no customer service
    since they outsourced customer service for individuals to India. Those
    people will make all sorts of promises, but they apparently don't get paid
    to actually *do* anything. IIRC a recent issue of Consumer Reports rated
    both Sony and Compaq higher on customer service. I tried 20+ times, through
    every available channel, to get an invoice for a hard drive I recently
    bought from Dell so I could get the Dell advertised rebate. I got nothing
    but a royal run around. I would have sent the damn thing back, but I figured
    I had less than a 50-50 chance of getting the thing credited back and didn't
    want to continue fighting with them. Unless the situation changes
    dramatically the two Dells in the house will probably be our last. They're
    good machines, but heaven help you if you need _anything_ from Dell.

    Dennis

    Technobarbarian, Jun 6, 2004
  16. RO

    Hank Arnold Guest

    I would view it even differently. In a case like this, I wouldn't wait *one*
    day. After I hung up with Dell, I would contact the credit card company
    immediately and set a dispute in process. This stops the clock from ticking
    on you. Each credit card can set its own time limit for disputing a charge.
    I can almost guarantee that if it's over 30 days, you'll need a very
    cooperative and flexible CC company to get it reversed without showing
    fraud....

    Hank Arnold, Jun 6, 2004
  17. RO

    Tom Scales Guest

    The invoice is available online. Log on to your account, choose the
    purchase and you can find the invoice.

    Of course it came in the box too.

    Tom Scales, Jun 6, 2004
  18. RO

    PC Medic Guest

    Well while I feel for you in your 'individual' situation, I would hardly
    consider it enough to say "Dell is sorry as hell". The reason being that I
    am (being in business) all to familiar with how long it sometimes takes to
    get a customers account credited back shall we say...expeditiously. First in
    your case the "moron" you spoke with has no ability to credit your actual
    charge card. Most they can do is issue the order (credit request) to their
    finance department, who then processes the request through their credit card
    clearing house to issue a credit to your account. Their clearing house then
    submits this credit (via a banking network) to the clearing house that
    handles your card issuers accounts. Now IF they happen to use the same
    clearing house, this can be as quick as 24hrs (but is not always the case).
    If the use different clearing houses it can take longer and can even be as
    long as 10 days.
    This unfortunately is more an issue with big banking tying up consumers
    funds more than it is the retailer.

    Now most any bank (card issuer) I am aware of has a fax line that can be
    used for cases where immediate credit is needed.
    The retailer is provided this number and must fax an official document the
    card issuer stating that the charge was in error and request it be removed.
    This way the bank can reverse the charge before the clearing houses
    electronic request comes through.
    I have had to do this on occasion for folks that (for what ever reason)
    returned an item and needed the money back in their account ASAP.

    Contact your card issuer, explain that you returned the item and need the
    funds credited back ASAP asking where the retailer may fax confirmation to
    expedite the credit. Then call Dell and ASK FOR A SUPERVISOR, explain the
    situation and provide the number.

    PC Medic, Jun 6, 2004
  19. RO

    PC Medic Guest

    That's odd, anything I have ever had shipped to me included an invoice in
    the box (or in a small plastic pouch on the outside). In fact anything I
    have ever ordered from Dell not only included it in the box, but also online
    as soon as my order was completed.

    PC Medic, Jun 6, 2004
  20. The difference is that I purchased it on a Dell Prefered account. Part
    of the run around was that when I talked to the Indians the Dell Prefered
    people would insist that Dell was responsible for sending out invoices and
    when I talked to the Dell people they insisted Dell Prefered handled this.
    One of the Indians claimed to be emailing an invoice to me himself. Another
    insisted they could not do this. Most of them told me they were emailing the
    proper department and that I would get an invoice in 48 hours. This never
    happened. Even with Dell Prefered I used to be able to get invoices online.
    This is no longer the case.

    Email to Dell is handled by dumb 'bots that only regurgitate information
    already available online. I was kicked off the Dell forums when I started
    talking about my plans for future purchases and why I had made this
    decision--even though I was saying it politely. You simply disappear without
    notice. The last thing I got there was a claim from one of their people that
    they could handle this--they didn't.

    Asking for a supervisor is a hoot. One person claimed they could not
    connect me to a supervisor. Another kicked me back into the phone pool when
    I asked to talk to their supervisor, after he suggested that I should have
    talked to one of the previous person's supervisor. Apparently there are
    major disincentives for actually connecting you to a "supervisor".

    The way I look at it is that if they couldn't handle a simple and basic
    matter like this what happens if I need something even slightly complicated?
    I'm not willing to gamble my money finding out. I know a guy in Texas who
    took his machine to Dell headquarters and insisted they take it back, even
    though he knew he wouldn't get his money back. It had become a boat anchor
    because of software problems. When he insisted--face to face--they finally
    found someone to get him the software, otherwise individual buyers are not
    getting customer service.

    Dennis

    Technobarbarian, Jun 6, 2004