Canceled order

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RO, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. RO

    Irene Guest

    I would contact the credit card company

    I have yet to have a problem disputing a charge with either of my card
    companies. We always do so within a reasonable length of time after
    receiving the bill from the CC company.
    They have always said the same thing, just deduct the amount from the bill
    and pay the balance. Only very rarely have I ever been asked to respond in
    writing(I only remember once or twice). Credit Card companies do not
    appreciate merchants who drag their feet on CC refunds. Probably because(and
    this is personal experience) those companies have more than a slight
    tendency to blame the delay on the credit card company.
    This was the case in ALL four of my experiences with Dell.
    Pretty sad!

    In a case like this, I wouldn't wait *one*
    It sounds like you don't expect much from Dell when it comes to refunds to
    customers via credits to their cc accounts.
    One this we agree, neither do I!
    As I said in my previous post, my experience has been that most merchants
    issue the credit within a couple of business days, usually 48 hours or less.

    Irene, Jun 6, 2004

  2. RO

    Irene Guest

    The reason being that I

    It is really difficult. We have had no problems getting credits to our
    customers handled promptly. None that I know of took over two weeks, and I
    consider that really bad.
    On the other side of the coin, I just had an inadvertent over charge from a
    repair company. I went in, showed them the problem. They issued the credit
    while I stood there and it appeared on my, internet available, account
    summary the third day following the credit being issued.

    "10 days", but this was well over a month from the date Dell got the
    merchandise back.

    His message was posted June 5. That is 50 days. Even if you only count
    business days(34), it is absurdly slow. You really aren't going to try and
    blame that on the credit card company, are you?

    I guess blaming the CC company beats having to admit that some companies are
    intentionally slow issuing credits. I think it is called "playing the
    float".

    Irene, Jun 6, 2004

  3. RO

    Irene Guest

    We had one shipment that had no invoice, but requested and received a dup
    without problems.

    Irene, Jun 6, 2004
  4. RO

    PC Medic Guest

    Nothing different there. All of my Dell purchases are also on my Dell
    Preferred Account.
    I don't care if you are paying with haitian Gourdes, they still provide
    e-Invoice at time of order and hard-copy with delivery.
    I have two questions here. Why are you talking to "the Indians", that would
    be tech support as Sales is still a U.S. call center.
    It also does not explain your original Hard-Copy. I actually received two of
    these, one with the shipment and one by seperate envelope.
    no longer the case.

    Sure you can. I just checked and all my invoices are still available. Had my
    wife check, and so are hers.
    Are you sure you are going to the right page? You must login before you can
    access your invoices.

    https://membership.dell.com/DellPortal/Signin.aspx

    I have only had to email Dell one time and was answered by an individual,
    not a form letter from a bot.
    As for the forums, is it possible it was not actually a Dell rep but someone
    else jerking your chain. I can not imagine why a rep for a company would
    offer assistance and then never do anything. If he had no interest in your
    issue, why respond in the first place?
    A couple days after ordering one of my Dells they changed their online
    offers (as happens frequently). The new offers would have given me what I
    was expecting PLUS a 17" Flat Panel upgrade at no charge. I figured what the
    hell can't hurt to ask and gave them a call to see what could be done. The
    rep informed me my only option would be to refuse my current order (it had
    already shipped) and place a new order taking advantage of the new specials.
    Well this sounded obsurd not only from a customer service standpoint, but
    would cost their company more in shipping. I asked for his supervisor, who
    was 'Promptly" put on the phone. He agreed and we worked out a solution in
    that he shipped the Flat Panel and informed me to refuse only the monitor
    from the original order when it arrived.
    And anyone that knows corporate business knows that he was lucky. Many
    corporate offices are clueless to service issues as they are management and
    not service types. Their service and warehouses are often located in an
    entirely different area. I also don't think "face-to-face" had much to do
    with it. They usually have Security for those kinds of cases.
    No complaints from this individual yet.

    PC Medic, Jun 6, 2004
  5. RO

    PC Medic Guest

    blaming no one as that would be too easy. Simply pointing out how things
    sometimes work. I can tell you that YES it is quite possible one of the
    banking institutions is at fault here. Unfortunately, chances are the
    customer will never really know where the screw-up was and the vendor will
    take the heat in the end.
    No easier than it is to blame the vendor. Simple fact is I was blaming no
    one in particular as based on what has been stated here so far there is
    'concrete' evidence as to where the ball was dropped.

    PC Medic, Jun 6, 2004

  6. I've had to do that before with american express (years ago, when I
    actually carried one of those), but do visa and mastercard have a
    similar policy?

    Will they allow you to reverse the charge so that you payed nothing and
    leave it up to Dell to /prove/ that the system actually shipped (which
    they can't if you returned it) ?

    Thomas G. Marshall, Jun 7, 2004
  7. Well for starters, what you get with your order is a packing slip, not
    an invoice. They are two different animals. I've found if you don't give the
    rebate centers exactly what they want you don't get your rebate. I tried
    sending in the packing slip because that was all I could get, but I'm not
    expecting to see my money again.
    Good point, an avenue I didn't try, and I thought I had tried everything
    available. I usually work with sales when I'm making a purchase and customer
    service afterwards. It would have been worth a try. The Indians are
    certainly worthless.
    Been there, done that (several times)--did it again--the site still
    insists that I can't get this particular invoice online and directs me to a
    form that doesn't produce any responses. According to the page I get it's
    because it's a Dell Prefered purchase.
    The only thing I can think of is that it looks good on the forum. The
    last anyone sees of me is when they offer to fix it. Now my posts just
    disappear and no one is the wiser. Posting directly to the moderator, who
    offered to help, also produces no results. The way the forums are set up I
    don't think anyone could fake a moderator post and go unnoticed.
    Yep, I would have said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I hope you
    continue as lucky. Personally I'm feeling pretty abused and plan to vote
    with my dollars. Good machines--absolutely no customer service.

    Dennis

    Technobarbarian, Jun 7, 2004
  8. Why are you talking about rebates now? Rebates are totally different
    from credits and are usually handled by a fulfillment company, not the
    vendor (don't know if this is the case with Dell). This might be a
    source of confusion if you're calling Dell and asking about your rebate
    - you're not entitled to one. You want a credit for the merchandise you
    ordered & canceled (refused delivery).

    Vince McGowan, Jun 7, 2004
  9. RO

    Irene Guest

    I can tell you that YES it is quite possible one of the
    "possible" , yes, but,
    I guess that Dell is "snake bit" then. We have had to get 4 credits from
    Dell. One for a returned component, one for a cancelled order, and two for
    shipping(one where we were charged for shipping that was supposed to be at
    no charge and another where we were charged for air and the system was
    shipped ground). None were handled promptly. None were handled as promised.
    And all four had to be disputed.
    I don't call that a good track record for Dell, do you.

    Add to that, numerous experiences similar to Rivera's and ours have been
    posted to this news group.

    I think that is a very good indication as to just where the responsibility
    falls, does it not?

    Irene, Jun 7, 2004
  10. You're the only one here who's confused. I needed the invoice from Dell
    (seller) to apply for the rebate from Seagate (manufacturer). If you paid
    attention to the various names of the people posting to this thread it might
    make sense to you--maybe.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Jun 7, 2004
  11. Whatever, you're the dummy still looking for your CR.

    Don't think I didn't notice that you didn't answer my question about why
    you're talking about rebates all of a sudden.

    Vince McGowan, Jun 7, 2004
  12. LOL, I answered your question, you're just too dense to get it. There was
    no "all of a sudden" and I am not the person looking for a CR. I posted to
    this thread to say: "Hey, I'm having a similar problem with Dell, I think
    we're seeing a pattern here". It's usenet. More than one person can post to
    a thread. You apparently are too lazy or dense to follow the conversation.
    In the likely case that you didn't get it, the pattern is that the Indians
    are just going through the motions and very little actually happens there.
    As a result Dell isn't really providing customer service for individuals
    anymore. I find it interesting that sales and service for larger accounts
    stayed in the States while "customer service" for individuals got
    outsourced. It seems to indicate that Dell knew what would happen to
    customer service in India.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Jun 7, 2004
  13. RO

    Irene Guest

    ................. I find it interesting that sales and service for larger
    accounts

    Not entirely correct. From the numerous articles that I have read, Dell
    began outsourcing those accounts, also, but they were flooded with so many
    complaints and promises of lost business that they very wisely made the
    decision to move them back to the U.S.

    Irene, Jun 7, 2004
  14. RO

    Irene Guest

    Irene, Jun 7, 2004
  15. RO

    PC Medic Guest

    PC Medic, Jun 8, 2004
  16. RO

    Irene Guest

    " I find it interesting that sales and service for larger accounts
    stayed in the States"

    I sorry, I assumed that corporate accounts were "larger accounts". Guess
    not.

    Irene, Jun 8, 2004
  17. RO

    Fred Mau Guest

    I agree. I wouldn't give Dell an A+ by any stretch, but they're probably the
    "Least Worst".

    A few years back I'd have said that HP Support was best, Compaq Support was
    worst, and Dell Support was midway inbetween. But now that HP seems to have
    inherited all of Compaq's bad habits, Dell is - by default - now the best.

    And - ooooh - don't EVEN get me started on the subject of IBM's support...

    - FM -

    Fred Mau, Jun 10, 2004
  18. support...

    Awhile back I had occasion to use eMachine's tech support when I was
    fixing a computer novice friend's computer. Even they were FAR better than
    Dell. My friend had gotten a rather virulent and potentially expensive
    dialer on his machine. I consider eMachines to be pretty near the bottom of
    the barrel as far as computers go, but I talked to people who were native
    English speakers and very helpful. That's a lot more than I can say for
    Dell.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Jun 10, 2004
  19. RO

    Hank Arnold Guest

    [sarcasm on]
    IBM's support is simple.... "You have a problem? Run the System Restore and
    get the system back to factory ship condition.".
    [sarcasm off]

    --
    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    support...

    Hank Arnold, Jun 10, 2004
  20. RO

    David Nimon Guest

    You mean Dell (India) is better?? "Reformat...reinstall".

    David Nimon, Jun 10, 2004