Cannot access VIA RAID BIOS on K8V-SE X board

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BC, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. BC

    BC Guest

    Hi,

    I've got a slightly curious problem while trying to set up a new SATA
    HD as a secondary drive on my machine.

    I've followed the instructions in the manual as far as enabling the
    SATA BOOT ROM in the main BIOS, rebooting, and then pressing the Tab
    key on POST, but all that happens is that I boot straight into the
    Windows instance on my primary drive. Within Windows itself, the
    SATA/RAID controller is detected, but Windows reports that it is not
    operating correctly due to a problem.

    I have also attempted disconnecting my current primary drive and taking
    all cards out except for the graphics card, and then attempting to
    install Windows on the new SATA drive. I load the drivers up using F6,
    but Windows does not recognise that there are any hard drives attached
    to my system.

    I'm absolutely sure that this is because I can't get to the VIA RAID
    BIOS to set the new HD up, but I'm completely at a loss as to how to
    get into it. Can anybody put me out of my misery (and probably
    completely embarrass me into the bargain when they tell me how simple
    the solution is)?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    "The answer is no, now, what's the question?"

    BC, Mar 16, 2006

  2. BC

    Mark Guest

    Make sure the via raid tool is instaledl. I had same problem then
    installed the via raid tool on the mb disk and i'm ok now.

    Mark

    Mark, Mar 16, 2006

  3. BC

    Bill Guest

    FWIW, I've found that overclocking on this MB renders the Via Raid
    unusable, it refuses to recognize the hard drive. You're not
    overclocking the CPU are you?

    BTW, OCing doesn't affect the Promise Raid comtroller.

    Bill

    Bill, Mar 16, 2006
  4. BC

    BC Guest

    Both,

    Thanks for your replies.

    The only VIA RAID tool I can find is the Windows version, and I
    wouldn't have thought this would affect the BIOS (othrwise you'd never
    be able to use a SATA drive on a new build system).

    I reset the BIOS to factory settings using the BIOS jumper, and still
    nothing. For reference, the B8v-SE X board doesn't have the Promise
    RAID controller on it, which should, in theory at least, make this
    installation easier.

    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks,
    Brian

    BC, Mar 26, 2006
  5. BC

    BC Guest

    All,

    I tracked down the solution to this problem, and thought I'd post it on
    the chance that someone else comes across a similar problem.

    As suspected, it was something terribly simple, fairly embarrassing,
    and not (directly) motherboard related. However, the motherboard in
    question supports SATA, but not SATA2...have a guess which type of hard
    drive I bought...All was resolved by simply connecting a jumper cap to
    a pair of jumpers on the hard drive which cause it to operate in
    150Mb/s mode only (which I assume complies with the SATA
    specification!)

    Thanks,
    Brian

    BC, Apr 5, 2006
  6. BC

    jamie090989

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same Problem

    Hey, I've had a similar problem to u and thanks to ur last post i now know the solution.
    Now the only problem is getting the speed down to 150mbs. How do i use a jumper? Wot is a jumper?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    jamie090989, May 5, 2007