Cannot adjust screen brightness on Sony VAIO after XP reinstall

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by David, May 8, 2008.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hi

    I just formatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP on my Sony
    TR3A VAIO. I also installed drivers that seemed appropriate from the
    Sony Support website.

    Now I can't get the brightness to adjust. It used to adjust when I
    hit Fn - F5 and I could adjust the brighness up and down with the
    arrow keys. Now when I am on batteries the screen is so dim as to be
    nearly useless.

    When I am on AC power the screen is stuck on maximum brightness but I
    guess I can live with that

    Sony Tech support says I need some software that is not posted on the
    website. They say I should have backed up the drivers but thats too
    late to do. Sony sells disks with the software I need but the disk
    for my TR3A is out of stock with no date available when it will be
    in.

    I also don't have the software to for the built in video camera but
    thats not really a big deal but I would like to do video calls with
    Skype.

    Hope somebody can help.

    David
    dgoldenberg_at_verizon_dot_net

    David, May 8, 2008

  2. David

    David Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:58:11 -0600, Quaoar <>
    wrote:

    It sounds like you understand just what I need. I have the drivers
    that are located here.

    http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCGTR3A

    But Sony support tells me there is software to make the function keys
    work that is in addition to whats posted and it exists only on the
    disks. This software is what will let me increase the LCD brightness
    Thats what I need. I would also like to restore the camera capture but
    thats not a priority.

    I will be on vacation from May 12 to May 26. I hope you understand
    what I need and can email it to me.

    I am going to look on the silicon popculture site. Maybe I can find
    something there.

    Regards,

    David, May 11, 2008

  3. David

    David Guest

    Thanks for turning me on to the Sony TR forum. I found the files I
    needed to gey my laptop running right.

    I am especially happy to get the hotkey utility that lets me turn up
    the brightness of the display so I don't have to strain my eyes any
    more.

    David

    David, May 31, 2008
  4. David

    cuckoo Guest

    I have the same problem, can you advise where and how to resolve the
    screen brightness problem.

    It kills my eyes...

    Thanks

    cuckoo, Dec 2, 2008