Cannot install WinXP on a P4C800 Deluxe. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Rich Gomes, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Rich Gomes

    Rich Gomes Guest

    I recently setup a PC with the following:
    x2 Mator 7200 RPM 120GB drives
    Plextor 48/24/48 CD-RW
    Sony DRU 500AX DVD +/- RW
    Atech Multi Card Reader
    ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
    1GB Corsair 3200 DDR Ram
    P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz 1MB Cache
    Asus P4C800 Deluxe running BIOS 1017

    Now, everything boots fine, but I cannot install WinXP. It starts the
    install ("Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration")
    and on the next screen, I get the blue background and the title
    "Windows Setup" but no grey bar across the bottom which shows which
    files it is loading. I have tried several copies of XP with the same
    result. I can bring each of these discs to another PC and get past
    this screen. I even tried using the setup floppies you can download
    from MS and it hangs at the same screen. I have successfully loaded
    Win2k (I am posting from it right now)and run Knoppix from this
    machine. I tried to do an upgrade install from 2000 to XP and it hangs
    at the same screen. I have disconnected everything except for the
    Plextor and the first Maxtor and get the same result. I have played
    with some of the settings in the BIOS (ACPI on, APM disabled, Suspend
    set to S3 only, Spread Spectrum disabled, 32bit support on the HDs,
    set IDE to P-ATA only, turned off HT, same results). I cannot find
    anyone else with this issue despite my best googling. Has anyone seen
    this or know what the issue is? Please help!

    Thanks in advance,
    Rich

    Rich Gomes, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Rich Gomes

    Pete D Guest

    Have you tried using a different CD reader?

    Pete D, Oct 25, 2004