Cannot Play Music with CD using Windows Media Player - Major Concern

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Sam, Mar 20, 2013.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I have a Dell Studio XPS 9100 computer with Windows 7 Prof (SP1) (and all
    current Windows Updates). I been able to play music CDs without any
    problems since the purchase of my computer. This afternoon, I tried to
    play a music CD and the media player window would open but not go any
    further. I tried other music CDs but with the same results. I checked
    Device Manager for the DVD writer (HL-DT-ST DVD - RW GH50N ATA DEVICE) and
    the CD-ROM reader (HL-DT-ST DVE RWBD CH20N ATA DEVICE) , and on the General
    Tab, it indicated that "This device is working properly."

    The only thing that I have done to the computer recently, was yesterday I
    installed MS IE10. The computer appears to be working okay in other ways.
    My major concern is more about whether I would be able to use the Paragon
    Backup and Restore Boot Disk to restore to a prior image in case of a
    serious computer problem. At this point in time, I don't want to try to
    see if the Boot CD will work because that might cause even further problems.
    Any help would be very much appreciated, Thanks Sam.

    The following is indicated in Event Viewer:

    + System

    - Provider

    [ Name] Application Hang

    - EventID 1002

    [ Qualifiers] 0

    Level 2

    Task 101

    Keywords 0x80000000000000

    - TimeCreated

    [ SystemTime] 2013-03-20T00:09:17.000000000Z

    EventRecordID 42505

    Channel Application

    Computer XXXXXXXXX

    Security

    - EventData

    wmplayer.exe
    12.0.7601.17514
    e34
    01ce24ff1ffb9a77
    10
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
    64be2cad-90f2-11e2-a790-f04da23a6e57
    55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

    Binary data:

    In Words

    0000: 006E0055 006E006B 0077006F 0000006E
    0008: 0000

    In Bytes

    0000: 55 00 6E 00 6B 00 6E 00 U.n.k.n.
    0008: 6F 00 77 00 6E 00 00 00 o.w.n...
    0010: 00 00

    Sam, Mar 20, 2013

  2. Sam

    Ben Myers Guest

    What I would do would be to d/l a copy of some Linux distro, like Knoppix

    or Ubuntu and boot from it and run "Live" right from the DVD. You can do

    this without making any changes to your system. Then try to play a music

    CD. If it plays the problem is with Windows, if not you probably have a

    bad optical drive. Of course, if you can't boot from a boot CD I think

    you have your answer... ;)[/QUOTE]

    Good suggestion. Let me add that iTunes plays music CDs nicely, and VLC isa FREE media player that disregards the crapola DRM barriers put up by Sony, the movie companies and all the music makers... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 9, 2013