Cannot sucessfully install...anything!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Richie C, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Richie C

    Richie C Guest

    I am having serious problems with my Abit KD7A Mainboard for Socket A
    (DDR) VIAKT400A, ATA/133, ATX, USB2.0, LAN.

    When I attempt to install XP, or 2000, I get error messages along the
    lines of "cannot install file xxx.xxx, please retry". I hit retry a
    couple of times and eventually it installs, It can occur at any point
    of the installations - from copying initial files through to the
    actual Windows installer.

    I managed to get XP installed, and then tried to install Hitman -
    again, I got error messages - this time saying I may have bad media
    and to retry, as with the OS install, eventually the application
    installs. I can play the game to a certain level and as it tries to
    load the next level, it crashes.

    I have ruled out the CD drive, harddrive, cabling, and RAM, so I am at
    a loss. The installation errors never seem to occur at the same spot,
    and once, while installing Photoshop, I managed to sucessfully install
    the whole thing!

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    Richie

    Richie C, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Richie C

    Richie C Guest

    BTW, I have a AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.833 GHz CPU....

    Richie C, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Richie C

    Stephen Guest

    When I had that problem, one of my memory sticks was bad.

    Stephen

    Stephen, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Richie C

    Richie C Guest

    Thanks Stephen, I'll give that a try tonight.

    Richie C, Jun 9, 2004
  5. Definately a RAM issue. Try lowering your mem timings or changing the ram.

    Aaron

    Aaron Grizzle, Jun 15, 2004