    device profile?

    Thanx in advance

    Gautham

    Gautham, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Gautham

    Janvi Guest

    sorry, my page is only in German but maybe you will find it usefull
    or maybe somebody likes to translate it...
    http://home.t-online.de/home/janvi/can.htm

    Janvi, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Gautham

    Ralf Neuber Guest

    Ralf Neuber, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Gautham

    Gautham Guest

    Ralf,
    Thanx for your reply. While going thru' the site you mentioned, I
    noticed that for CANOpen specifications, you've to be a member of CAN
    CIA.. Is it mandatory? Can't I get a CAN open specs for free?
    Secondly, is there any open source for CAN Open? I've seen open source
    for CAN implementation (on linux, in sourceforge.net). Do let me know.

    Thanx in advance
    Gautham

    Gautham, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Hi Gautham

    No, you can order the specifications at
    <http://www.can-cia.org/services/order.html>
    As you can see, they are not free, but of low cost compared with other
    standards. The most importand is CiA DS 301 (Version 4.02) for ¤65,00.
    You get them _all_ for free, if a member of CiA.
    There may be some open source implementations. But be aware that
    implementations using these packages may not pass the CiA CANopen
    conformance test. The may be also limited in support for microcontrollers
    and CAN controllers. Can you please tell us what your target hardware will
    be?
    The CANopen conformance test only checks for the CANopen communication
    Profile, not for profiles with indexes at 0x6000.

    Best regards
    Heinz
    --

    with best regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

    Heinz-Jürgen Oertel
    +===================================================================
    +===================================================================

    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Heinz=2DJ=FCrgen?= Oertel, Nov 29, 2003
  6. You can also buy some very good books, which contain the standard and some
    more info. Look at their online shop.

    Michael

    Michael Schuster, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Hi Gautham,

    About a month ago we updated www.MicroCANopen.com to be CANopen
    compliant and the example provided passes the CANopen conformance
    test. It is available for free for educational purposes.

    HOWEVER, please note that as it is, MicroCANopen only supports
    pre-configured, hard-coded nodes. That means that all communication
    specific settings (which Node ID is used and which Process Data
    Objects are used and how) are hard-coded.

    As soon as you want to build a plug-and-play configurable device, I
    would highly recommend to go with a commercial CANopen solution.
    Either buy a commercial source code or use a CANopen protcol chip or
    module such as www.CANopenIA.com

    More links:
    http://www.CANopen.us
    http://www.esacademy.com/myacademy (CANopen online classes)