    hard drive, which includes a backup of my system and the operating system.
    I tried other drive letters, I cannot access the main part of my hard drive
    in dos. Any ideas?

    Robert Smith, Aug 9, 2003

  2. Robert Smith

    daytripper Guest

    Yeah: boot into Windows and take a look at the boot partition: it's probably
    an NTFS partition - which you can't see with a vanilla DOS boot...

    daytripper, Aug 9, 2003

  3. Robert Smith

    Robert Smith Guest

    Yes you are right, so basically if Windows gets stuffed am I stuffed? What
    precautions should I take?

    Robert Smith, Aug 10, 2003
  4. Robert Smith

    Pen Guest

    You could use partition magic to convert the partition
    back to FAT32.

    Pen, Aug 10, 2003
  5. If you only need read access to the drive, SysInternals have a
    NTFS-for-DOS driver available for download.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml

    They also sell a read/write version, but I'm not sure how well it
    works.

    Peter Emanuelsson, Aug 12, 2003