Can't boot from my La Cie external FW - Help

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Paul Fuchs, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Paul Fuchs

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    I have a Pismo running 10.3.5 with a 30 GB internal HD and a La Cie 120
    GB external FW plugged into it. The La Cie has two partitions: a small
    one about 10 GB for cloning my internal drive OS X partition, and the
    remainder for a media partition.

    I use CC Cloner to transfer, and I keep the make bootable and check
    permissions boxes checked.

    For the last month or so, when I try to boot from the FW, it proceed
    normally right up to the log in screen, but it never opens the log in.
    It seems to get stuck in preparing to present the log in screen. This
    started happening right about the time up upgraded from 10.3.4 to
    10.3.5.

    Yesterday, I booted into 9.2.2 and trashed everything vaguely connected
    to OS X on the FW partition, then recloned it. Did not help at all -
    same problem.

    Does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this problem? I have to
    be able to boot from the external drive.

    TIA

    Paul Fuchs, Dec 18, 2004

  2. It may be of no help but a new driver was releaed by LaCie last month
    for their firewire drives.

    Also, OS 10.3.7 is supposed to fix some firewire problems, but I would
    probably try other things first.

    Have you run the Disk Utility on the firewire?

    Disk Warrior?

    Cathy

    Cathy Stevenson, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Paul Fuchs

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    DU and DW both give it a clean bill of health. Very frustrating.

    Paul Fuchs, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Paul Fuchs

    Jeff Wechter Guest

    Maybe it's the drive. Can you put any other System on there
    that will boot any other Mac? Maybe drag your OS9 system on
    to it or install a fresh OS X system.

    Or the fact that it almost works suggests to me that maybe
    something is off in the System you're cloning (a font? an
    alias? a startup item? a rogue permission?)

    Or maybe a pref in CCC needs to be tweaked.

    Just 2¢.

    Jeff

    Jeff Wechter, Dec 19, 2004
  5. Paul Fuchs

    Paul Fuchs Guest

    Thanks Jeff. I just diskcovered that it's not the drive and not the
    computer, which has serious motherboard problems. I borrowed a friend's
    Pismo and I have the same problem. However, I have 10.3.4 on the big
    media partition of the La Cie, and it booted just fine. Actually, I'm
    writing this on my friend's Pismo booted on the other partition.
    So this means that the problem is in the system of the partition I want
    to boot from. The system I am using now was cloned in September, so
    it's missing lots of stuff.

    So the answers to your questions:

    The paritin will not boot another Mac, but the less desired parition
    (10.3.4) will boot either Mac.

    There is a fon't isssue going on. I have never been able to open Font
    Book in any partition. Don't know how to fix it.

    Re permissions, I have cc cloner repair the permissions before I clone.
    Don't know how to do anything more.

    The problem started after I upgraded to 10.3.5 and cloned it to the La
    Cie, but ironically, the problem doesn't exist on the original internal
    drive.

    Help!

    Paul Fuchs, Dec 20, 2004