Can't bypass win 2k logon prompt / over top install?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Dan, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Hi,
    I sold an old Dell dimension 4100 w/win 2k to a freind. Prior to
    selling I'd removed my OE ID's and all other personal stuff, not sure
    but I may have also deleted my wqin 2k user profile. Now when my
    friend starts the PC she gets the win 2k prompt for user id and
    password even tho Ui'd never set the sys up to prompt fr password. My
    old user priofile ID was in the ID box. Had her try hitting enter to
    bypass, trying and old password I used to use, and clearing out the
    user ID field and entering no pasword but that didnt help either.
    someone suggested installing win 2k on top of itself. I still have 4
    diskettes I'd made labelled "win 2k setup up" discs 1-4 and the win 2k
    sys CD from dell. Is there an online step by step guide to doing this
    type of install as I've never done it b4 and my friend has little or
    no PC experience at allll. Thanks!

    Dan

    Remove NOSPAM from address when replying

    Dan, Sep 4, 2005

  2. Dan

    Ben Myers Guest

    Before doing a reinstall, have your friend attempt to log in as Administrator
    with no password. Once logged in, she can straighten everything out.

    Ben Myers, Sep 4, 2005

  3. There's a free Linux utility that can overwrite Win2k passwords (I had
    to use it for a roommate my freshmen year of college). You boot off a
    floppy and it loads linux, reads the drive, prompts you for a new p/w
    and writes over the old one. I beleive it was called pwdump2; it's been
    a few years since I used it, but a quick google returned:
    http://www.bindview.com/Services/razor/Utilities/Windows/pwdump2_readme.cfm

    Nicholas Andrade, Sep 4, 2005
  4. Dan

    Ben Myers Guest

    Also Petter Hagen-Nordahl's very fine and free "Offline Windows NT Password and
    Registry Editor" at the following URL:

    It boots up a Linux kernel and works with NT, 2000, XP... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 4, 2005
  5. Dan

    S.Lewis Guest

    <crosspost removed>

    That's a good idea. I'm not sure about Win2K, but I know in XP Home one can
    F8 into safe mode and access the administrator's account w/o a password.

    You could then (in theory) go into control panel/users and either set a
    password or none.

    (*he says, acknowledging the sometimes significant differences in Win2K and
    WinXP....)

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 4, 2005