    Would it be better to put in 2GB (DDR 400) of memory and use a older HD
    (7200 rpm with 8mb cache) or
    put in 1 GB and buy a Raptor instead?

    S D, Dec 14, 2004

  2. S D

    Courseyauto Guest

    RAPTOR

    Courseyauto, Dec 14, 2004

  3. S D

    Neil Guest

    What about buying all the memory you want and a
    cheapy RAID card and putting your old discs into
    an array? (Doesn't really work if you've only
    ever had one disc though, and if you have two with
    different capacities, you'll not be able tomake
    full use of all the storage).

    Neil

    Neil, Dec 14, 2004
  4. S D

    Dan Guest

    I thought the latest 7200 RPM drives are faster than the raptors now anyway?

    Dan

    Dan, Dec 14, 2004
  5. S D

    Courseyauto Guest

    Neither one will probably not help performance.

    Courseyauto, Dec 14, 2004
  6. S D

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    Here is my problem I want to build a new system with a AMD 64 3500 cpu. I
    I have a machine with 2 gigs of ram, one with 1 gig, and one with 512
    megs. In some games (Far Cry, D3), going from 512 to 1 gig makes a
    difference - but so far, I haven't seen a single game where there was an
    improvement going from 1 gig to 2 gigs, so I wouldn't worry about getting
    two gigs of memory.

    As for the raptors, they're pretty pricey. Instead of $177 for a single
    74-gig raptor, I'd probably buy a pair of 120- or 160-gig drives and put
    them in RAID 0, but that's just me. If low latency is more of a concern
    than bandwidth to you, then by all means, get the raptor.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Dec 15, 2004
  7. S D

    papasurf Guest

    Raptor is faster than latest 7200 drives.

    papasurf, Dec 15, 2004
  8. No by much and only in some areas :)

    The Other Guy., Dec 15, 2004
  9. bah and humbug.

    Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BLT, MP, PBJ, LSMFT, Dec 15, 2004
  10. S D

    Chip Guest

    I agree!

    The Other Guy: Name me another drive that gives you 7.X seconds access
    times. Thats the reason the Raptors feel so fast. The benchmark suites
    place too much emphasis on burst rates and sustained read and write speeds.
    Very relevant for loading big files. But what about loading 50 million
    piddly little DLLs. i.e. Windows! The Raptors make mincemeat of other
    drives.

    Chip

    Chip, Dec 15, 2004
  11. S D

    S D Guest

    Thanx Steve, that was helpfull.

    I will buy the Raptor then. In the future I can allways buy a second one and
    put these in Raid 0.

    S D, Dec 15, 2004
  12. Going with 2Gig RAM won't do much better than 1 Gig in ANY games that
    are on the market today or even in the (near) future. Go with Raptor,
    have one myself and it's speedy as hell :)

    Der Steppenwolf, Dec 16, 2004
  13. S D

    Bruin Guest

    EQ2. I got a gig. Uses ALL my available physical RAM.

    Bruin, Dec 17, 2004
  14. Ah! For EQ2 you really need the Raptor and the biggest, baddest, fastest
    video card you can get. Video is the bottleneck in EQ.

    Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BLT, MP, PBJ, LSMFT, Dec 17, 2004