Can't decide between N250GTS and N250GTX!

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Ikke, Jul 3, 2010.

  1. Ikke

    Ikke Guest

    Hi everybody,

    I need some help deciding on which new video card I need to buy for my
    computer.

    First of all, I'm a software developer, and need my machine for work 90%
    of the time. The remaining time I watch some movies, and play the odd
    game or two, so I'm looking for a decent graphics card, but not one which
    will set me back the price of a small PC.

    This led me to the following two cards:
    - N250GTS-2D512 (about 120€)
    - N250GTX TWIN FROZR 1G (about 140€)

    Very similar, and there isn't a big difference in price. The store clerk
    told me the first one (GTS) had 512MB memory, whereas the GTX had 1GB -
    but he also told me the processor on the GTS was faster than the GTX! He
    himself couldn't decide which one he'd use, so I'm a bit at a loss here.

    Do I go for the faster processor with less memory, or the slower card
    with more memory?

    Also, the GTX is a "Twin Frozr" which means it keeps it's temperature
    down to about 40° (or so I've read). Does this make it the better choice?
    I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of fans, I'd like my machine to
    run as silent as possible...

    Any thoughs/ideas/suggestions are very much appreciated!

    Ikke

    Ikke, Jul 3, 2010

  2. Ikke

    Maddoctor Guest