    file, FLASH878.EXE that I cannot delete under any circumstance. It's
    always in use even during a safe mode boot.

    What gives? How do I get rid of this thing?

    Rich Heimlich, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Rich Heimlich

    Jim Schuster Guest

    That is probably a DOS-based BIOS flashing utility. Open c:\autoexec.bat
    and see if it is listed there. BIOS updates typically contain three files
    in the download: this type of program, the BIOS update itself, and an
    autoexec.bat that saves you from having to type the command in manually.

    I'm guessing that the autoexec.bat in the download may have gotten into
    your c:\ folder somehow. If this turns out to be the case, assuming you
    don't have any special DOS needs, you can just delete c:\autoexec.bat
    entirely.

    Jim Schuster, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Rich Heimlich

    Dimitris Guest

    This is an interesting bug of winxp. Thank god there is a workaround.
    First open a dos windows, then press ctrl-alt-del to bring up the
    Windows Task Manager, go to the process tab and stop the explorer.exe
    process. Then go to dos box and manually delete the file. Then go to
    windows task manager(which you shouldnt have closed) and choose new
    process and enter explorer.exe.Then close dos box.

    Dimitris, Jan 19, 2004
  4. It is a DOS-based utility and it's not in my autoexec.bat file. I'm an
    old DOS pro and it's now been so long since I've been in DOS that I
    Once I started reading your post, I figured this was it for sure.
    Unfortunately it isn't.

    Rich Heimlich, Jan 20, 2004
  5. WOW. Dmitri, you're a wizard for knowing that one off your head!
    Thanks. Worked like a CHAMP, so much so that I've now saved this reply
    from you to keep around for next time.

    How about this one?

    I kept the same hard drive and re-installed XP over the old XP and
    that resulted in an orphaned user under Documents and Settings called
    "Rich".

    XP, when it find two users with the same name will name the second one
    "name.computername" so in my case that users data is stored in
    Rich.Main

    The thing is, I should now be able to get rid of the entire "Rich"
    folder. However, under:

    Rich/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5

    I have a dynamic folder named "QXRGDWRI" and under it is a file I
    cannot remove named "reserve[1]."

    All attempts to remove it result in an error stating that "Cannot
    delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

    It's a zero-byte file that I've been trying to delete for months now.

    Rich Heimlich, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Rich Heimlich

    Dimitris Guest

    Maybe its a filesystem error. Try scandisk from within winxp.
    Or use Nero 6.0 to make a bootable cdrom, then boot with this cd. It
    will load Caldera Dr-Dos and it will regognize all your hard
    drives(IDE,RAID,SATA,SCSI) and the file systems(NTFS, FAT 32). Then
    try to delete it from dr-dos command prompt.
    Just check the cdrom for viruses after you have created it, just in
    case the nero bootloader has a virus(maybe the case in pirate nero
    versions).

    Dimitris, Jan 22, 2004